🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Is it allowed to use Skype as a communica...
Page options
6a33ce5b
Community Member

Is it allowed to use Skype as a communication tool?

I was sent an upwork email stating a project was removed that I applied for becuase it violated the TOS. Then a few hours later I received another email from upwork from Jane A asking to set up an interview via skype. I checked the sender information and the email looks like an official upwork email. I went through the interview process and answered a google forms questionnaire. Then I received a job offer (which I have not opened) in skype. I checked my upwork dashboard and there is nothing about this job in the dashboard. That's when I realized it was the same job I was emailed about stating it was removed. I am assuming this is a scam but would like confirmation. Has anyone received an email for an interview after a job has been removed? I've never done work with upwork. I just signed up yesterday so I'm trying to figure everything out and make sure I don't violate TOS in the process. I just asked the interviewer (Caroline Stacy) if this job was approved by upwork and she said they would send a contract in upwork after the training and orientation and that all payments would be made through the website but she did not explain why the interview/offer is not showing up in my upwork dashboard... Thank you!!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sofia2008
Community Member

Communicating outside Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. No need to try to figure out where the message is coming from. You can find the Terms of Service at the bottom of the web page, and look at the ressources of the Academy at the top of the page to become familiar with how the platform works and to keep you and your account safe.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sofia2008
Community Member

Communicating outside Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. No need to try to figure out where the message is coming from. You can find the Terms of Service at the bottom of the web page, and look at the ressources of the Academy at the top of the page to become familiar with how the platform works and to keep you and your account safe.

Thanks, Sophie. I think I'll go read the TOS now so I don't get scammed in the future!!

Yeah, there's some good stuff in there, but sometimes it's a little roundabout to interpret. The Terms of Use are probably the most accessible. If you have questions, you can always post them here.

I think this should be required reading for new freelancers. It will help you spot a lot of untoward offers.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

thank you so much for the red flags link!!

Too bad you weren't automatically directed to this link by Upwork when you signed up.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

It is a scam

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths