cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it legal to receive funds from international employers?

Highlighted
Linda A Member Since: Apr 13, 2017
1 of 6

Hello there,

I recently registered to Upwork. As a Canadian freelancer, is it legal for me to apply to international gigs and receive funds from gigs outside of Canada? Or will I need to go through a process in order to be paid legally? I appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

@Linda A wrote:

Hello there,

I recently registered to Upwork. As a Canadian freelancer, is it legal for me to apply to international gigs and receive funds from gigs outside of Canada? Or will I need to go through a process in order to be paid legally? I appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Canada would be a weird country if this was illegal.

Of course you can have foreign clients. As long as you report your earnings and comply with local tax and other laws.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
3 of 6

That is a good point. I appreciate the input. Thank you.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 6

Hi Linda, 

Welcome to Upwork! Here's a thread we share to first time users of the platform so that you can get tips on how to be successful, and how you can work safely on the platform.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
5 of 6

It's no problem getting work from international clients (they're clients, not employers) but you will get banned by Upwork if you don't get rid of the link to your personal website. That's a big no no here since clients can contact you through the website instead of staying on Upwork.

6 of 6

Oh that's good to know! I didn't know that was against the rules, so I'll make note of that. Thank you for letting me know.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS