🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is it normal to get a request to interview th...
Page options
csprachermoore
Community Member

Is it normal to get a request to interview through Telegram?

I have submitted two offers on jobs that have received an immediate reply with a download link to a generic looking pdf saying that the company wants to interview asap via Telegram. Is this normal? I'm new to freelance so I'm genuinely not sure but it just seems too strange to trust. I reported the first one and never heard anything. Does anyone have any insight?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you, that's what I thought.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Real clients don't ask freelancers to interview on Telegram. Only scammers do that.

No Upwork freelancer has ever earned money starting with an interview on Telegram. It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a freelancer to communicate off-platform with a prospective client. After a client hires you with an official Upwork contract, you may communicate with him using Telegram or any other communication tool.

Thank you, that's what I thought.

5085ef62
Community Member

Hey Catherine!
So, as you stated that you received two job interviews from your clients via upwork, lete guide you that it is completely okay you can respond them via Upwork messaging app, Once you are hired you can then give them interview via Skype,Google Meet, Upwork Call or Zoom Meeting.
In Rare cases the client must not want to use it as for his ease but if the clients needs to hire you he will definitely use the service you will recommend him for interviews.
Please Note down that you must be aware of Upwork T&C's in order to avoid any problems.
The best way is to get hired first on upwork all the payments must be made via through Upwork and offcourse you can meet through Meet ,Zoom or Upwork Video call for an interview.
Thanks and Best Regards:
Muhammad Sahil

There are so many of these jobs on Upwork and they are pretty obvious most of the time.  Poor grammar and spelling and high pay for simple work.  Is there any way they can be removed before they get to us workers?  My Job Feed is full of them every day.  I try and report them as Inappropriate, but that takes time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths