🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Is it ok to follow up on current contract...
Page options
excel_crab
Community Member

Is it ok to follow up on current contract?

Good day everyone.

I've got an hourly contract where I've already done and submitted some work and already paid.  The client told in our last conversation that more work is coming, he'll send in a few days.  However, more than a week have passed and still no work and no word/updates from client.  The contract remains open.

I was wondering what would be the best thing to do in this case, especially if weeks pass and still no activity on the contract.

It is a polite / professional thing to follow up on clients concerning future work or provide update of the status of work in an open contract?

Thank you very much!

Mark

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Mark T wrote:

Good day everyone.

I've got an hourly contract where I've already done and submitted some work and already paid.  The client told in our last conversation that more work is coming, he'll send in a few days.  However, more than a week have passed and still no work and no word/updates from client.  The contract remains open.

I was wondering what would be the best thing to do in this case, especially if weeks pass and still no activity on the contract.

It is a polite / professional thing to follow up on clients concerning future work or provide update of the status of work in an open contract?

Thank you very much!

Mark

There is nothing wrong with asking maybe once for status update, but no, it is not the polite or professional thing to do. The client knows where you are and how to reach you, if he needs your services. 

I am a bit wary of job postings that promise future work, I think in many cases that is just a bait for doing enticing people to work for a lower price than they would usually do.

@Martina P wrote:

There is nothing wrong with asking maybe once for status update, but no, it is not the polite or professional thing to do. The client knows where you are and how to reach you, if he needs your services. 

I am a bit wary of job postings that promise future work, I think in many cases that is just a bait for doing enticing people to work for a lower price than they would usually do.

Thanks Martina.  I will follow your advice.  What about open contracts where I did work and got paid but became inactive for more than a month?  Would it be better to leave it open indefinitely or ask client for update and if there's no more work, ask to close the contract and just offer a new contract in the future if the anticipated work comes?

Anyway, the client I have did not promise long term, nor additional future work in the job posting.   He's perfectly honest and the amount of work actually exceeded what was indicated in the job posting.  He simply told me there's more work in the pipeline later in the job.

Kind Regards,

Mark

You should end contracts that are inactive for months yourself, because after a while they start hurting your JSS.

@Martina P wrote:

You should end contracts that are inactive for months yourself, because after a while they start hurting your JSS.

Thanks for your answer Martina.  I assume, I'll contact the client to end the contract (not me, in order to get a feedback if the client wishes to give me one).

@Mark T wrote:

@Martina P wrote:

Thanks for your answer Martina.  I assume, I'll contact the client to end the contract (not me, in order to get a feedback if the client wishes to give me one).

Most often a client that has not ended the contract for months will not be responsive any longer, so you will have to end the contract yourself at some point. 

@Martina P wrote:

Most often a client that has not ended the contract for months will not be responsive any longer, so you will have to end the contract yourself at some point. 

Thanks Martina, the only problem with this option is it will result to "no feedback given". 

What might be a better strategy to avoid such situation if possible?  Contact the client after around a month and ask for job update and request to close contract if no further jobs are foreseeable?

Of course, I can suggest having the contract closed and also suggest to open a new contract if a job comes - if the clients won't mind.

@Mark T wrote:

@Martina P wrote:

Thanks Martina, the only problem with this option is it will result to "no feedback given". 

What might be a better strategy to avoid such situation if possible?  Contact the client after around a month and ask for job update and request to close contract if no further jobs are foreseeable?

Of course, I can suggest having the contract closed and also suggest to open a new contract if a job comes - if the clients won't mind.

No, the best option is for the client to end the contract as soon as the work is done, provide great work so that the client leaves great feedback, and try not to have clients that are not very responsive. You can tell a lot about a client by reading his feedbacks, and if he has many contracts without leaving feedback. Avoid those. 

@Martina P wrote:

No, the best option is for the client to end the contract as soon as the work is done, provide great work so that the client leaves great feedback, and try not to have clients that are not very responsive. You can tell a lot about a client by reading his feedbacks, and if he has many contracts without leaving feedback. Avoid those. 

Thanks Martina.  I already do that, it's a very good strategy to minimize "no feedback".  However some clients can be unpredictable in that regard.  I have one repeat client who previously gave a very good feedback and then forgot about the 2nd contract.  I don't think I ever annoyed him as he's asking my availability for another job.

Otherwise, yea, everyone should know about that technique of avoiding clients who are timid with feedbacks, should teach them a lesson!

Kind Regards,

Mark

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths