🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is it okay to start work before contract is o...
Page options
phogat_ritesh
Community Member

Is it okay to start work before contract is offered to you?

It is against Upwork's policies to start work before a contract is offered to you. What after few days the contract still not offered and freelancer don't want to work on that anymore

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork does not have an explicit prohibition against a freelancer starting to work on a project before being officially hired.

But please do not do that. It is bad for you and bad for the platform.

Note that it IS AGAINST Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork does not have an explicit prohibition against a freelancer starting to work on a project before being officially hired.

But please do not do that. It is bad for you and bad for the platform.

Note that it IS AGAINST Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

If there is no contract in place you are doing free work and will not get paid. I dunno about you but I don't work for free. No contract=no money=no work

Thank you, I never thought that I'll get the answer so quickly.

It really encouraged me to be active on the community platform and help others with the queries.

Thanks to Upwork Community!

phogat_ritesh
Community Member

Is it okay to ask the client for Skype id for a call.

Asking a client for his Skype ID does not violate any Upwork rules.

Asking for a Skype call does not violate any Upwork rules.

As a client, I have found that freelancers from one particular country often ask me for my Skype ID, which I find very annoying. Fortunately it is a simple enough matter to tell them no.

Ritesh P wrote:

Is it okay to ask the client for Skype id for a call.

Yes. Ritesh, you've been asking a lot of newbie questions.  I strongly suggest you read through Upwork's resources on how to get started as a freelancer and review content from the forums before you start working on the platform.  There's a lot to learn and learning on the job could be harmful to you and your future as a freelancer.  

Exactly You are right if we are experimenting in the interview chances are of failing
phogat_ritesh
Community Member

Freelancer started working for the client without any contract. After a few days when he still doesn't receive any contract from the client.

Questions
1. Can freelancers stop working for the client.
2. Can he decline the contract now, as It is too late for him to accept the contract now?

Thanks!

Ritesh P wrote:

Freelancer started working for the client without any contract. After a few days when he still doesn't receive any contract from the client.

Questions

Since the freelancer didn't have a contract, he/she/you shouldn't have started working in the first place.  No contract = no work.  I really hope "the freelancer" didn't send the client the work.  That's working for free.  To answer your question, a freelancer can end a contract at any time (even without a contract). 

2. Can he decline the contract now, as It is too late for him to accept the contract now?
"The freelancer" can decline the contract.  It's not too late to accept the contract. 
Thanks!

1) Yes

2) Yes

Thanks for this very detailed answer!

Questions

Thanks!

1. You are not working FOR the client at all until you have received and accepted an offer, you are just wasting your own time.

2. In your scenario the client has not sent an offer, therefore there is nothing to decline. If the client decides to send an offer, you can of course accept it and finish the work you have already started. It is not recommended to ever start working without a contract, because you will never get paid. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh, 

Since most of your questions were related, I have merged them here, and moved them to the New to Upwork board. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths