🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is it possible to edit your Upwork profile Em...
Page options
michaelljacobs
Community Member

Is it possible to edit your Upwork profile Employment History?

Is it possible to edit your Upwork profile Employment History? HR Professionals and Career Coaches have informed me that ageism is pervasive and that my extensive (long) work history is more than likely working against me both in the freelance world and in the regular job market.  I'd like to remove several of the older less relevant sections of my Employment History and amend information in the remaining sections.  My resumé and LinkedIn account are updated and I need to ensure my Upwork Employment History matches those profiles. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Michael J wrote:

Is it possible to edit your Upwork profile Employment History? HR Professionals and Career Coaches have informed me that ageism is pervasive and that my extensive (long) work history is more than likely working against me both in the freelance world and in the regular job market.  I'd like to remove several of the older less relevant sections of my Employment History and amend information in the remaining sections.  My resumé and LinkedIn account are updated and I need to ensure my Upwork Employment History matches those profiles. 

Sure, go to Find Work > Profile, hover mouse on the right of what you want to fix and click on the pencil icon to edit

edit.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

@Michael J wrote:

Sure, go to Find Work > Profile, hover mouse on the right of what you want to fix and click on the pencil icon to edit

edit.jpg

Thank you Petra. I appreciate your response. When I wrote my initial question only the trashcan was showing (no pencil).  After I logged out and logged back into Upwork the pencil appeared next to the trashcan. Thanks again.

Who told you that "ageism is pervasive"?

There are many many highly successful freelancers on Upwork and they command high rates.  If an educated buyer is looking for wealth of experience for their money they will hire you.  Those looking for bargains will never higher you - there will always someone who will underbid you.

(Oh I am not one of those highly successful)

Michael, I am glad that you figured out how to edit your work history section.

I am with Prashant in questioning whether this is really a problem for freelancers. I understand how this might be an issue for employers hiring employees, but we are not employees, and I believe younger and less experienced freelancers are usually at a competitive disadvantage here.

Having said all that, if you are really concerned about ageism, why do you appear in your profile photo with a beard and moustache, which make you look older? Potential clients are far more likely to think of you as older because of your photo than anything at the bottom of your profile page in your work history.

@Preston H wrote:

Having said all that, if you are really concerned about ageism, why do you appear in your profile photo with a beard and moustache, which make you look older? Potential clients are far more likely to think of you as older because of your photo than anything at the bottom of your profile page in your work history.

I assume his photo is a bit older, too?

I also agree that unless you come across as senile, ageism is not really an issue in freelancing.

Chiming in to say that while ageism appears to be prevalent in the bricks and mortar world, this really hasn't been an issue while freelancing, at least for me.  It's clear from my profile and my picture that I'm a "silverback" which has actually been a benefit over the years.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths