🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Is it possible to get paid after contract...
Page options
bherouard
Community Member

Is it possible to get paid after contract closure ?

Hello there,

I have worked on two small hourly contracts.

On the first one, I still don't have feedback from the client since delivery apart "thanks I'll check it later". I sent a private message a few days later but got no answer. So I decided to end the contract in order to be able to give my feedback and maybe get him receive a notification, so that I get paid.

On the other one, I got positive feedback from the client, who then ended the contract. But after that he asked me "how can I pay?" I gave him my feedback and he gave his. We both assumed that the money would be transferred automatically to me as he had confirmed the job was done.

I suppose that, as a general rule, as long as the client confirms that the job was successfully completed I will get paid even after the closure of the contract (whoever did actually close it).

Am I right?

5 REPLIES 5
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Don't close an hourly project until after you're paid all the money the client owes you. 

If possible, always allow the client to close any project. This isn't always possible with clients who just disappear or who couldn't care less how Upwork works.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it possible to get paid after contract closure?"

Yes.

After a contract has been closed, a client may still issue bonus payments to a freelancer.

This is 100% at the client's discretion.

It is a matter between the client and the freelancer. Upwork is not involved in deciding how much bonus payment any client should make to a freelancer.

The ability a client has to pay a freelancer after a contract has closed does not last forever. But this capability is available for at least a few weeks.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have worked on two small hourly contracts... On the other one, I got positive feedback from the client, who then ended the contract. But after that he asked me "how can I pay?" I gave him my feedback and he gave his. We both assumed that the money would be transferred automatically to me as he had confirmed the job was done."

If you logged your time, you HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

Payment is handled AUTOMATICALLY.

The client does not need to do anything else. You do not need to do anything else.

Just sit back and watch the money flow from one status box to the other as it gets closer to your bank account.

On hourly contracts, you are automatically paid for all time you log while the contract is open.

After a contract has been closed, no time can be logged.

No Upwork freelancer who understands how the system works would postpone logging hours.

If a contract has been closed, Upwork does not require a client to pay a freelancer for time that was NOT logged. A client may do that, according to the dictates of her conscience.

kat303
Community Member

Brice - On hourly jobs, it takes about 2 weeks for the money to get to your "Upwork Account" at which time you can transfer it out to whatever account you set up (bank/credit card etc) Funds are automatically taken out of the clients verified account. You don't have to do anything but wait. That is of course, if you tracked your hours using Upworks Tracker. You can find out more information here.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

bherouard
Community Member

Kudos to all of you for your swift, clear and reassuring answers.

So my original post's last sentence should be rephrased as "as a general rule, as long as the client has confirmed the job was successfully completed AND the worked hours were tracked with Upwork Time tracker app AND client has a verified payment method, I will get paid after about two weeks even if the contract has been closed".

In both cases the client has a verified payment method and I tracked time with the Upwork app. So one contract will be paid as it was closed by the client himself, and the other one will wait for the client's feedback. But what if the client never gives feedback ? Will the end of the 14-days period that started after my feedback trigger the payment if the client gives no life sign?
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths