🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is it possible to install the Upwork Desktop ...
Page options
aylim
Community Member

Is it possible to install the Upwork Desktop App on a raspberry pi?

I just setup a raspberry pi 3 running on raspbian os 9.9 (latest version as of this writing). 

I want to know if it's possible to install the desktop app on it? 

After following the instructions here, i get an error saying 

dpkg: error processing archive /home/pi/Downloads/upwork_5.2.3.771_amd64.deb (--install):
 package architecture (amd64) does not match system (armhf)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/pi/Downloads/upwork_5.2.3.771_amd64.deb

For additional info, i downloaded both 64-bit and 32-bit deb files. 

Does that mean it doesn't work? Is there some sort of a workaround it? 

10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ariel,

Unfortunately at the moment, we do not support raspberry pi. To learn more about the systems support for our desktop app check out this Help Article. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
a3d72782
Community Member

Hello,

Is there any updates on the subject on how to run upwork desktop app on aarch64 (ARM) CPU.

In case there isn't can we have the source code of the app so we can build it ourselvers.

Thank you

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sadok, 

Are you asking about MacOS or Linux? We do support arm64 for the MacOS but do not support aarch64 for Linux.

Source code cannot be provided.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
a3d72782
Community Member

Thank you for you quick response. It is actually for Linux, I will try to find a way around it, if you have any useful idea please don't hesitate to reach to me, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks

Did you find any way around?

I'm in the same situation...

a3d72782
Community Member

Unfortunatel no, I just gave up with the raspberry pi as a desktop idea because it is still not supported enough, probably as a second desktop computer but not as the main one. I hope you can find a solution but from what I remember no version is compatible with the kernel.

aylim
Community Member

Yeah, i recently revisited this again and there's still no support for arm 😞 

dizajnirame
Community Member

What a shame the tracking app can't support ARM, nowadays more and more ARM devices are being used. Is it so difficult to create ARM build, if you have a cross platform app which look like you do it should be no more than few hours to port it?

There are a lot of use cases for the Upwork APP on arm, some of the include:

* Run the app on Raspberry PIs
* Run the app from Mac M1 Virtual machine (Linux or Window)

I have the exact use case of running a M1 virtual machine with Ubuntu 22.04 and I just found out that I can't install the Upwork software. Can the Upwork team provide any updates on that issue, please?

joydeep85
Community Member

It's really a shame that we cannot use this on ARM64 supported linux ? All it takes is just to put a matrix of pipeline and build it for ARM64 architecture for the source code !!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths