🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is it some way to see if the customer saw my ...
Page options
michael_isr
Community Member

Is it some way to see if the customer saw my proposal at all?

Is it any way to see if the customer saw my proposal at all?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "If so, then is it enough to write just 'Hi' to show that I am interested in the task?"

If you are applying to the jobs I post, I usually won't know if you wrote "HI" or not.

I post a lot of jobs for artists, illustrators, graphic designers, and similar freelancers. I don't care about what they write and I don't care if they speak English. I look at their portfolios.

I also post a lot of jobs for very technical Linux configuration tasks, and the only people who apply to those jobs are freelancers who know and understand the task. So I typically just hire the first person who applies, without looking at proposals.

But what if you are applying to jobs that OTHER clients post?

You should probably write an effective cover letter in case the job you are applying to was posted by a client who reads cover letters/proposals.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it any way to see if the customer saw my proposal at all?"

No.

There is no way to know.

Even if a client sends you an invitation to talk about the project, or even if a client hires you, there is no way to know if the client saw your proposal.

I have hired over 130 freelancers on Upwork.

I probably saw their proposals for less than 10 of them.

I usually don't look at proposals.

"I usually don't look at proposals."

If so, then is it enough to write just "Hi" to show that I am interested in the task? 🙂

Michael V wrote:

"I usually don't look at proposals."

If so, then is it enough to write just "Hi" to show that I am interested in the task? 🙂

Probably not. 

re: "If so, then is it enough to write just 'Hi' to show that I am interested in the task?"

If you are applying to the jobs I post, I usually won't know if you wrote "HI" or not.

I post a lot of jobs for artists, illustrators, graphic designers, and similar freelancers. I don't care about what they write and I don't care if they speak English. I look at their portfolios.

I also post a lot of jobs for very technical Linux configuration tasks, and the only people who apply to those jobs are freelancers who know and understand the task. So I typically just hire the first person who applies, without looking at proposals.

But what if you are applying to jobs that OTHER clients post?

You should probably write an effective cover letter in case the job you are applying to was posted by a client who reads cover letters/proposals.

Anyway... this thread is about whether or not freelancers can know if a client saw their proposal. My point had nothing to do with whether or not you should write cover letters. (You should.) My point was simply that there really is no way to know if anybody saw your proposal. Because even if you get interviewed or hired, it doesn't mean that the client looked at your proposal.

And if you NEVER get contacted by the client, it doesn't mean that she didn't look at your proposal. She may have looked at your proposal and felt that you weren't a good fit for the project.

The question that you can ask yourself is this:

Does it matter if I know whether or not a client looked at my proposal?

The answer is: It doesn't matter.

I usually don't look at proposals.

Then what procedures do you follow to find the best one? Do you check their badges or ratings?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths