🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is it wise to accept job offers from first ti...
Page options
excel_crab
Community Member

Is it wise to accept job offers from first time clients without interview?

Greetings Everyone,

I have previously accepted few job offers before without interview from first time clients and turned out well.  Mostly quick and simple jobs.

Sadly, the last one didn't turn out well. It happened with a complex job and the client had quite different expectation.

I only would have found out about this before accepting the contract if we only had an interview first but we never did.  I've had interviews before that didn't go too well like a too agressive client. Fortunately, it is only an interview.

Now, I'm reluctant to just accept job offers without any prior interviews.  What's the best way to handle job offers without interview from first time clients?

Thanks and Regards,

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

I typically say that I would like to discuss the job with them to determine the exact nature of the work and to clearly understand what they need.  Since I work with lawyers, they are delighted to talk!

mystudiomke
Community Member

Agreed with Mary. I personally would never accept an offer without discussing the details. That is a huge risk to take. I have received these offers in the past some we end up discussing further and others they just forget. 

Lila
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mark T wrote:

Greetings Everyone,

I have previously accepted few job offers before without interview from first time clients and turned out well.  Mostly quick and simple jobs.

Sadly, the last one didn't turn out well. It happened with a complex job and the client had quite different expectation.

I only would have found out about this before accepting the contract if we only had an interview first but we never did.  I've had interviews before that didn't go too well like a too agressive client. Fortunately, it is only an interview.

Now, I'm reluctant to just accept job offers without any prior interviews.  What's the best way to handle job offers without interview from first time clients?

Thanks and Regards,

Mark

I would never ever accept an offer without prior discussion with the client. What keeps you from asking the questions you need answered in order to assess your ability to perform the task? Nobody can force you to klick that button...

ANY first-time client could turn out to be a nightmare.

An experienced freelancer can manage first-time clients.

A NEW freelancer is better of working with experienced cients.

With experienced clients.. If you appy to their jobs, you can always see their hiring history. This can be incredibly informative and helpful.

A truly experienced, wise client is able to post excellent job postings which can be so informative and complete that a freelancer doesn't need to discuss the project any further with the client. But only a small percentage of job postings are like that.

Thanks Everyone for the useful advice!

I suppose, in essence, I'm also interviewing the client, so I can determine whether the job will succeed with the client or not.  If the client will be cooperative or unreasonable, things like that.

I'll keep this mind.

Kind Regards

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths