🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is there a right way to tell a client to end ...
Page options
aizie
Community Member

Is there a right way to tell a client to end a contract

I have an existing hourly job that indicated As Needed VA on the job title.

While I understand at the onset of the project, that the projects will not be ongoing, I didn't realize it would be this scarce. I was only given small tasks once (or twice, if lucky) a month, and the projects doesn't even takes an hour. The last time he reached out to me was August 1 and nothing again eversince so I hope to end the contract.

I'm worried that the As Needed part on the job title will cause a problem if I ended the contract on my end. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can encourage him to end it on his end? Looking forward to suggestions. 

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

If the client does NOT end the contract... then it is not the end of the world.

You CAN end the contract yourself.

Or you can leave the contract open.

re: "I'm worried that the As Needed part on the job title will cause a problem if I ended the contract on my end."

No. There is nothing to worry about in that regard.

re: "Do you have any suggestions as to how I can encourage him to end it on his end? Looking forward to suggestions."

Tell him:

"John:

Thank you for the opportunity to work on your project. This has been a good experience for me. But I am shifting the type of work I do away from occasional as-needed VA work, because I am focusing on more active contracts. I would be happy to finish up any work you have for me this week, but if you don't have anything right now, if you could close the contract, it would be very much appreciated."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths