🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is there a way to tell whether a client no lo...
Page options
dmitri_kozlov
Community Member

Is there a way to tell whether a client no longer accepts new freelancer proposals?

Hello

I am new to freelancing. As a new freelancer, I would like to know whether I can still apply for a freelance job posting meaning that a client still accepts proposals from freelancers.

Currently, there is no indication whether a client hired a freelancer and no longer accepts new proposals.

Could you please advice.

Thank You

2 REPLIES 2
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Dmitri K wrote:

Hello

I am new to freelancing. As a new freelancer, I would like to know whether I can still apply for a freelance job posting meaning that a client still accepts proposals from freelancers.

Currently, there is no indication whether a client hired a freelancer and no longer accepts new proposals.

Could you please advice.

Thank You

You can apply as long as the job posting is there, but it's ultimately your decision. But before you do, look at the client's hiring rate and his prior feedback, active and passive. That should make your decision easier. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

By definition, if a job posting is still on Upwork, ad you can still submit a proposal, the clinet is accepting new freelancer proposals.

Is it possible that a client posted a job, and a freelancer already applied, and was hired, and the job has been completed, and the client forgot to remove the job posting? And the client isn't going to log back into Upwork until she has a new job to post, which may be six months from now?

Yes.

That is very possible.

As a cilent, I try to always remove my job posts as soon as I no longer want to hire anybody. But I am familiar with the client-side user interface, and I am aware that there is no mechanism that "forces" this.

When a client hires a freelancer, the cilent chooses between two options:

- I want to close the job posting now; I'm done hiring

- I want to leave the job posting open; I plan to hire more people

But what if the client clicks the latter option, and then doesn't actually hire more people, or doesn't even look at Upwork again?

There's no way for you as a freelancer to know for sure if you're looking at a job posting that was posted by a client who is very conscientious of all this... or not.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths