cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to warn other freelancers of a potential non-paying client?

Antony N Member Since: Mar 27, 2017
1 of 19

Hi there, I did a job for a client yesterday and as soon as I sent the approved files he went quiet (after being super responsive throughout the process). I'm new to Upwork and didn't understand the 'unverified payment' part (I think I just learned the hard way!).

I see that he has several other freelancers working for him right now. Now he might be legitimate and surface again, but I am concerned he is taking advantage of other people as well. My 'spider-sense' tells me he's not going to pay.

He also posted (an hour ago) the exact same rush job that I did yesterday - needing a logo done in the next few hours.

Is there any way to warn the other freelancers that he *might* not pay and they should request he verifies his payments source before they proceed?

Thanks!

Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
2 of 19

It's awesome that you want to warn others. If he continues to be unresponsive and you eventually decide to end the contract, you can leave a review for this client. (You should wait a bit before doing this, though.)

Other than that, you just have to trust that others will follow Upwork's suggestion to wait until a payment method is verified before starting to work/delivering work. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 19

There is no "black list" of bad clients.

A list would serve no purpose. Bad clients and scammers would simply continue to create new false identities.

What matters is behavior.

I can't know if "John Smith" (to make up a name) is a bad client.

But I CAN know that a client who asks me to send in work quickly because it's a "rush job," but doesn't set up an official Upwork contract or doesn't verify their payment method, is somebody I don't want to work for.

4 of 19

Understood. I think it is just a shame I am seeing other people working on projects for him at the moment, and he might well not pay any of them.

5 of 19

Unfortunately I clicked 'end contract' (it was late, had been a long day). Left him good feedback as he had been so easy to work with and responsive so far.

I'd read about the Escrow part, so thought the funds were already in place - I didn't get that 'unverified' means they are not.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 19

Did this client send you a contract and did you accept it? if so that would mean you were officially hired. The job should show up under the Jobs section.

Was escrow funded BEFORE you started working? if so, just submit the work through the Submit Word/Request Payment button. If the client doesn't respond the funds in escrow will automatically be released to you in 14 days.

Is there a way to warn other freelancers. NO. Because, as You, no one has the time or whatever to read about the procedures and do's and don'ts of this site until AFTER they are scammed.

7 of 19

Yes he did send a contract - but after the work was done and I sent the files, I clicked on 'end contract'. As he is 'payment unverified' I don't think anything will have gone into escrow.

My concern is I see other freelancers working on projects for him at the moment - and if he isn't legit then they are not going to get paid either. I just think it's silly that they can't at least be warned that he may not be a legit client.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 19

@Antony N wrote:

Yes he did send a contract - but after the work was done and I sent the files, I clicked on 'end contract'.

When you clicked "end contract" instead of using the "submit work and request payment" button you sent the Escrow funds back to the client's payment method.

A first milestone can not be created without being funded (but "can" be funded with a minimal amount)

However, by ending the contract you actually sent whatever was funded back yourself.

9 of 19

Thanks for explaining that! Still trying to figure out how it all works. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
10 of 19

@Antony N wrote:

My concern is I see other freelancers working on projects for him at the moment - and if he isn't legit then they are not going to get paid either. I just think it's silly that they can't at least be warned that he may not be a legit client.

YOUR concern Should be you and not anyone else on this site. If others don't take the time to learn this site, and how it works, that is THEIR problem not yours. And I strongly advise, that YOU take time to fully acquaint yourself with the procedures of how to work on here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS