🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is this a real job invitation?
Page options
bethduddy
Community Member

Is this a real job invitation?

I'm still trying to get my foot in the door on Upwork, and have received my third "invitation" to apply for a job. The first two were scams and I have my doubts about this one, too. The very generic invite text reads: "Hello! I'd like to invite you to take a look at the job I've posted. Please submit a proposal if you're available and interested. Devon C." The location is listed as United States, but the time stamp seems off (at 3:30 pm EST, the posting reads 12:30 am). The payment isn't verified. I don't want to waste my time if this is another scam. Thanks.  

2 REPLIES 2
yitwail
Community Member

Beth D wrote:

I'm still trying to get my foot in the door on Upwork, and have received my third "invitation" to apply for a job. The first two were scams and I have my doubts about this one, too. The very generic invite text reads: "Hello! I'd like to invite you to take a look at the job I've posted. Please submit a proposal if you're available and interested. Devon C." The location is listed as United States, but the time stamp seems off (at 3:30 pm EST, the posting reads 12:30 am). The payment isn't verified. I don't want to waste my time if this is another scam. Thanks.  

Beth, the generic text I'm pretty sure is one that is automatically generated by Upwork, which the client can overwrite if they choose to. I've received many invitations that read exactly like that, and they were not all fakes, so you can't conclude from that fact alone that it's a scam, and the same applies to unverified payment method, because Upwork doesn't require new clients to verify payment method, so many choose not to, in case they don't find anyone they want to hire.

Community Manager

Hi Beth,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths