cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is this a scam?

tmnt52
Filip S Member Since: Jan 28, 2017
1 of 6

Hello, since I am new memer of this community i have that first and worst step to achive: my first job. I am very excited for every message that i get (since only 1 out of 10 even reply). So yesterday i got my first job. Or, did I?

This guy with random, non real name, no profile picture, and no verifed payment metod answered to my proposal. He said that i should download his program and type captchas in it, and for every 5k i will get some money. Also, he answered to all of his proposals, and job title was `pdf to excel`(so diferent from typing captchas). What should i do? Do you have any similar experience?

Thank you for attention.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

Report the client to customer support. You can also flag the job as inappropriate from your page.

This is not only a scam, but captcha entry is a big no-no on Upwork and you risk having your account suspended before you even start.

At the top of this page there is a post on how to get started on Upwork:https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Read all the links given in that post - but particularly "Tips to avoid questionable jobs" by Lena, another of our moderators.

Three cardinal rules: Never agree to buy software. Never accept cheques. Never agree to accept payment off-site.

View solution in original post

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
3 of 6

@Nichola L wrote:

Report the client to customer support. You can also flag the job as inappropriate from your page.

This is not only a scam, but captcha entry is a big no-no on Upwork and you risk having your account suspended before you even start.

At the top of this page there is a post on how to get started on Upwork:https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Read all the links given in that post - but particularly "Tips to avoid questionable jobs" by Lena, another of our moderators.

Three cardinal rules: Never agree to buy software. Never accept cheques. Never agree to accept payment off-site.

I would like to add a fourth cardinal rule- 

"Always trust your instint. If your gut feel tells you it is a scam, it almost always is."

tmnt52
4 of 6

Thank you, It`s just hard to start and get first job, because of that every proposal looks good! Smiley Happy

tmnt52
5 of 6

Thank you so much for help! Althought i dont have a job i am not sad, its better than ban. I flagged job as innapropriate, but how to report client to customer support, I cant find a option?

vladag
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Filip,

I'll reiterate that captcha-entry jobs are prohibited on Upwork, as is offering/requesting/accepting to be paid off the platform. Our team will remove the client from the platform soon and I'd like to add another important rule to Nichola's and Reinier's list - never start working without being officially hired on Upwork with an active contract showing under your My Jobs tab.

Please review the resources Nichola linked, especially those listed under the safety first section.