🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is this a scam?
Page options
jesscin
Community Member

Is this a scam?

I am new to upwork. I got a job offer after an interview (only will up Jotform questionnaire) on LINE app. I signed the empolyment obligation letter with a copy of driving licence. Now client wants to send me money to buy equipment. I feel a little off. When I go back to check the proposal, it was removed. 

1. Will client pay you to get equipment? As they are asking if I have mobile banking app to send me echeck.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Fiona: Yes, this is a scam.

They are trying to steal your money.

The reason the job proposal was removed was because somebody else already reported it and Upwork already removed it.

re: "Will client pay you to get equipment?"

No.

They send you a fake check, which you deposit, and then you send them real money using an untraceable, unrecoverable method. And then your bank claws back the funds. This means you lose your money and/or your bank account.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Fiona: Yes, this is a scam.

They are trying to steal your money.

The reason the job proposal was removed was because somebody else already reported it and Upwork already removed it.

re: "Will client pay you to get equipment?"

No.

They send you a fake check, which you deposit, and then you send them real money using an untraceable, unrecoverable method. And then your bank claws back the funds. This means you lose your money and/or your bank account.

And  the freelancer will get banned for receiving funds off the platform.

Thank you I just got sent a $3700 check to buy equipment. Says they are **Edited for Community Guidelines** I called **Edited for Community Guidelines** bank and they say there is no such account. I’m looking for real part time work not fake companies trying to steal money!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Tina T wrote:

Thank you I just got sent a $3700 check to buy equipment. Says they are **Edited for Community Guidelines** I called **Edited for Community Guidelines** bank and they say there is no such account. I’m looking for real part time work not fake companies trying to steal money!

Hi Tina, remember that all offers will be made through the contracting service on Upwork and all payments must go through Upwork. If someone offers to send you a check for anything, even equipment, it is a scam. All payments, even for expenses, must go through Upwork. A legit client will send you an offer through the contracts tab of Upwork (not just in messages, you will get an alert on your account that says "You have an offer.") . Good for you double-checking before trying to cash that check, but also remember clients should not be requesting your contact details or sending you anything outside of Upwork chat until after you have accepted a contract offer from them. Following these rules will help you steer clear of scammers. 

Tina T wrote:

If you received a check, you already committed a number of offenses on upwork. You communicated outside of upwork. You accepted payment outside of upwork. 

This would not have happened had you played by the rules. Read them before you do anything else. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths