Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this invitation to interview real?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jennifer P Member Since: Jun 9, 2017
1 of 7

Can someone give me advice if this is a real invitation or a scam? Also this never showed up in my actual messages , just via email. Not sure if that is something or just a buggy issue. I looked this company up and they are legit, but the email address is weird. Anyone looking for thoughts on this. Thanks!

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Jennifer, the chances of this being legit are virtually nil, IMO, but, if you have a lot of time to kill, you could go through the exercise of doing what they're asking for, as long as you never accept any form of payment outside of Upwork and you do no work without a contract. You might also want to review this helpful post by an Upwork moderator:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jennifer P Member Since: Jun 9, 2017
3 of 7

Ok thanks for your thoughts on this. My gut says it sounds fishy. But just wanted to see what other people with more experience thought. Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 7

This is the main scame that newbies run into.

Don't waste your time communicating with these people any further. They just want to send you a fake check, have you cash it, and get $3000 from your checking account.

Highlighted
Janae N Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
5 of 7

Hi - I received one of these as well. Did you ignore the email and if so, does anything negative show in your profile? Thanks!

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 7

Hi Janae,

The job you are referring to has already been removed as inappropriate. Please, don't communicate with this client anymore. It will not negatively affect your stats.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

re: "Did you ignore the email and if so, does anything negative show in your profile?"

Your Job Success Score can not be hurt in any way by ignoring scammers, or by ignoring any invitations from any client for any job.

BUT... technically there IS something on your profile page that can be affected.

Your profile page displays a "response time" indicator. (See graphic below)

If you completely ignore invitations, then this response time indicator will go down. It will not identify you as the most responsive-possible freelancer.

But if you DECLINE the scammers' invitations immediately, then you can maintain a record of responding to 100% requests within 24 hours. This will keep your response time looking good.

Remember: DECLINING these invitations promptly counts just as much as accepting invitations.

response_time.png