🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is this job a scam
Page options
ahabal
Community Member

Is this job a scam

Hi,  

I would like to know if this job is a scam, I got a job proposal from a client so I submitted a proposal.

This was their reply:  

*Edited for community guidelines*

When I read this, I thought who would pay this much to someone just to list an ad online, it does  

sound too good to be true, but I wasns't sure because their payment method is verified and  I researched their company name and it seems legit.  

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
crayhernandez
Community Member

Hi Alia,

We are unable to confirm on our end if this is a scam, but be wary of jobs that are asking you to use your personal social media, or e-commerce accounts for their project.

You should also be able to communicate with this client off the platform, but we highly recommend that you recap the salient points of your discussion on your Upwork Messages for transparency, and to make sure that you and the client are on the same page. 

kat303
Community Member

Communicate on Google Hangouts

Offering to send check or deposit money into PayPal (or other credit card/bank account)

Telling you that you need to buy computer equipment and/or software from their vendor

Asking for personal information such as social security #, bank or credit card numbers or information

mothers maiden name, visa or passport information.

All above are scam jobs. 

Also, make sure the clients account is verified, that you have an offer (contract) on this site and if it's a fixed rate job, escrow is FULLY funded for the entire job or each milestone as they come up Before starting work. Hiring and all financial transactions Must be made on this site.

As for researching a company's name, that's a complete waste of time, Betty Crocker is a legit company, so is Converse. Doesn't mean the client is an employee there. 

madison-russell
Community Member

If the project is fully-funded, the client's payment method is verified, and the client isn't asking you to break any Upwork rules (payment outside of the platform)/asking for personal information, I wouldn't consider is a scam. I've done jobs making social media posts and creating online ads, and sometimes those jobs can pay very well. That doesn't necessarily mean it is a scam.

(Also, since your post has been edited and client information removed, I can't say for sure whether the job is a scam or not, so always use common sense when deciding whether to take a job.)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths