🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is this job scam?
Page options
ea7a9550
Community Member

Is this job scam?

Hi! I wanted to ask of there are any of you that encountered recently a job posting about Data Entry. It says there that if you finish the job, they will leave a great review for you to get started in Upwork. They said I was hired and they explained what company they are. Afterwards, they told me that I need to pay registration fee before doing the job. After finishing the job, my registration fee will be credited back to me along with the salary intended for me. I asked if there are any contract that can guarantee my safety. They provided me with one. But when I checked on the Upwork app, the job posting description was gone and the message on the chat section was gone as well. Can anyone help me with this? I really need a job and I am afraid ofbeingg scammed. I am looking for a job to EARN money. Not pay any company to have me hired.

6 REPLIES 6
sofia2008
Community Member

This is a scam. Please stop communicating with them.

Before accepting/sending proposals, make sure to take a look at this complete ressource To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community and anything you can read to learn how the platform works and stay safe.

Thank you so much for this. I am new to this and just really want to find a job. Good thing that I asked questions first before sending them any money.

You did the right thing by asking. Keep in mind that scammers target new freelancer wanting to find job quickly before learning how things work. 

Freelancers put their account at risk by not following the Terms of Service and their journey on Upwork might end before it even started, or some make bad decisions end wake up to a bad JSS they can't sometimes not recover from.

Investing time in knowledge is the best option.

ArjayM

Hi Rachelle,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this suspicious activity by a client. I've checked your account and I can't seem to find any Communications you had with a client. Please be reminded that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

Additionally, real clients will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. The removal of the job posts confirms that it's already been taken down by our Trust & Safety team because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has also been taken on the client account. 

In addition to Sophie's advice, you may also want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. Lastly, we encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ea7a9550
Community Member

Hi Arjay. Yes the chat was taken down. I was also about to open it again but cannot. I can provide with a screenshot though. Should you ask.

That would not be necessary Rachelle. I can actually see and confirm that the job has been removed from Upwork. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.

I assure you that we'll continue sharing your feedback/reports with the team and providing updates to the Community about the team's initiatives.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths