🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is this legit?
Page options
51a57aa9
Community Member

Is this legit?

I'm new to Upwork, and I received an invitation to submit a proposal to a job this morning. It feels too good to be true, but I accepted and submitted a proposal and was instantly contacted by someone claiming to be the HR manager. They want me to set up an interview through Telegram. I'm pretty sure this is a violation of Upwork's terms, but I saw there are exceptions and I don't know if this one qualifies. I've copied and pasted the message text below, omitting any identifiable information. Happy to provide more information if needed. Thanks!

I reviewed your application for our Graphic Design job post on Upwork and I'm impressed with your background. Welcome to XXXXXXX. The company hopes with your capabilities and qualifications you can help us attain a greater and unique height. We would like to schedule an interview with you to discuss your experience.

Telegram will be an outstanding choice for the interview and guidance. If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:

Please indicate your interest in an interview by reaching XXXXXX on Telegram using this link ( https://XXXXXX ) or Kindly have Telegram downloaded on any of your devices (either Laptop or both Phone) and add up the Hr. Coordinator (@XXXXXX) and instant message her with her screen name to proceed with the job interview process.

Interview Scheduled: Mondays - Saturdays
Venue: Online Via Telegram
Time: 9:00 AM-6:00 PM EST (Flexible)
Training is available.

Your verification code is (XXXXXXXX). This would serve as your identification number throughout the online hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.
Regards,
xxx xxxxx,
Hr Manager.
www.---.com

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
elisa_b
Community Member

As far as I know, it is possible to communicate through other channels (i.e. outside of Upwork) only when a contract is in place. Not before. At least this is what I have been told by the support some time ago.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
elisa_b
Community Member

As far as I know, it is possible to communicate through other channels (i.e. outside of Upwork) only when a contract is in place. Not before. At least this is what I have been told by the support some time ago.

51a57aa9
Community Member

Thank you so much for replying!

It felt too good to be true... I suspect it is. I also forwarded the question to support, so if I receive a response, I'll update this post!

Hi Erin,

I can confirm communication outside of Upwork before a contract is in place is against the Terms of ServiceWe find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

I can see you were able to submit your report to the team, thank you! We count on your help and diligence to make the Upwork experience as safe as possible. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to report it. Here's how to send a flag.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths