🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » JOB PROPOSAL, GETTING A JOB, NON DISCLOSURE.
Page options
e_makarevich
Community Member

JOB PROPOSAL, GETTING A JOB, NON DISCLOSURE.

Merci beacoup, Vielen Dank,

Thank you very much, большое спасибо!

I received 3 mails inviting to get an own web site in my quality as free-lancer

Actually, I consider that creating an own web site is something that could be done later.. and by the moment  I am not totally clear regarding the daily activities in this site.

With already 7 active proposals and several tests done to prove my proficiency I wonder:

1. How I realize if a job proposal is close?
  2. How I start getting a  job if every time the clients want to hire translators with experience in this platform?
  3. If I post former translations to demonstrate my quality , I will break the rule of non-disclosure with my former clients.

Thank you very much for your timely reply.

Elena Makarevich

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Elena, it is important for translators to have a strong portfolio.

There is no excuse for not having one.

You may ask clients for permission to post work.

You may create your own projects. Your portfolio pieces DO NOT NEED to be work you were paid to do.

Ask content owners and writers for permission to translate their material and post it as a portfolio piece.

Translate writing that is in the public domain.

Commission people to write original material that you will translate and post in your portfolio.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Elena, it is important for translators to have a strong portfolio.

There is no excuse for not having one.

You may ask clients for permission to post work.

You may create your own projects. Your portfolio pieces DO NOT NEED to be work you were paid to do.

Ask content owners and writers for permission to translate their material and post it as a portfolio piece.

Translate writing that is in the public domain.

Commission people to write original material that you will translate and post in your portfolio.

Hello there, 

Thank you very much for your suuport, it has been very useful to me.

I have one more question: what should I do to get paid here in Germany?  Due to  personal circumstances, I have no banking account, either credit card right now . Actually, I am living in Nicaragua and I am in Berlin  for a couple of months only .Thanks a lot in advance.

Sincerely, 

Elena Makarevich

Upwork offers MANY payment withdrawal methods aside from personal bank accounts. These include wire transfer, Payoneer, PayPal.

By the way...

If you don't really live in Germany, Upwork wants you to set your location to wherever you really live.

There is nothing wrong with living in Nicaragua. Upwork happily accepts freelancers who live in Nicaragua.

Thank you for replying so soon.

I know that living in Nicaragua ist NOTHING WRONG..but I need more details about the way I get money here in Berlin,,

sorry but  I did not understand your answer about MANY payment withdrawal methods. If a client wants to pay me, what he-she needs to do? And, obviously , it would be great to get my payment in Germany and not Nicaragua.

Thats’s all, thank you again.

Elena M.

re: "If a client wants to pay me, what he-she needs to do?"

Ah. I see where the confusion is coming from. You need to be very clear in your understanding of this:

Clients DO NOT PAY YOU.

That is against Upwork rules. That is one of their most important rules. You can NOT exchange money with clients. Ever.

Clients hire you through an Upwork contract. Clients pay Upwork. It doesn't matter how. That has nothing to do with you.

When you work on Upwork, Upwork pays you. Money goes into your Upwork account, and you withdraw it to your own financial account.

Read this:

Options for getting paid

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 6.01.30 AM.png

Click here

@Elena M wrote:

Thank you for replying so soon.

I know that living in Nicaragua ist NOTHING WRONG..but I need more details about the way I get money here in Berlin,,

sorry but  I did not understand your answer about MANY payment withdrawal methods. If a client wants to pay me, what he-she needs to do? And, obviously , it would be great to get my payment in Germany and not Nicaragua.

Thats’s all, thank you again.

Elena M.

Elena,

Upwork is not like the real world so it is better to read everything (or almost) there is to know about the site before bidding. Start here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Also freelancing is not as "free" as it seems, so if you are a permanent resident in Nicaragua, you need to know how their tax system works. These days with international banking rules and regs you can't really transfer funds straight into any bank account, either direct or via PayPal or similar, without saying where they came from. 

Gracias , muchisimas gracias, pero el tono de su respuesta podría ser un poco mas amable, o quizás estoy equivocada?

No puedo evitar de sentirme como estupida al leer sus instrucciones , …podria saber ?de que pais es usted?
Disculpe pero no es nada personal, solo curiosidad.

Thanks a lot, but while replying to someone new on the site, may be you schould be a little more polite?

While reading your advice, I could not avoid feeling me as a stupid. Where are you from ,please? I apologize that is nothing to do with you, just I am curios.

Best regards,

Elena Makarévich

@Elena M wrote:

Thanks a lot, but while replying to someone new on the site, may be you schould be a little more polite?

Maybe, when someone takes the time to give you very important and perfectly correct advice, you could be a little more grateful?

For what it's worth, I think you need to rethink your profile.

Offering to translate between no less than 5 languages, especially into English, will backfire sooner or later. Professionals do not translate from their native language into their non-native language(s)

I have no idea what your other languages are like, but your English is not at a level that would allow you to translate into it.

translating from Russian , English, French, German into Spanish and viceversa

Yeah, sure. I love the viceversa part. Especially with the kind of English displayed below.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths