🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » JSS - Accept Milestones
Page options
bevcam
Community Member

JSS - Accept Milestones

I haven't posted to this forum before, but I thought that I'd share my light-bulb moment with new freelancers.

Since joining Upwork my JSS went up quite quickly and I was pleased because I  have regular work and good reviews. Then suddenly my JSS started falling at the beginning of this year and I couldn't understand why because I have more work than ever.

Today I realised that it is because initially I wrote mainly blog posts and so I was paid regularly and got regular reviews. I have since started writing books which obviously take longer, AND I took it upon myself (em, em) to not include milestones when submitting proposals for books. 

The moral of the story - always build in at least one milestone when taking on long projects.

Well, I think (or hope) that was my mistake. I have gone from hero to zero on my JSS ... but if my theory is wrong I'll let you know.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@bev C wrote:

I haven't posted to this forum before, but I thought that I'd share my light-bulb moment with new freelancers.

Since joining Upwork my JSS went up quite quickly and I was pleased because I  have regular work and good reviews. Then suddenly my JSS started falling at the beginning of this year and I couldn't understand why because I have more work than ever.

Today I realised that it is because initially I wrote mainly blog posts and so I was paid regularly and got regular reviews. I have since started writing books which obviously take longer, AND I took it upon myself (em, em) to not include milestones when submitting proposals for books. 

I am not sure what you mean... You can not accept a fixed rate contract without at least one funded milestone?

If all your open contracts have funded milestones you are getting dangerously close to the point where at least one will be automatically ended and the funds returned to the client for being open for 3 months...

I think the 4 contracts that you closed without feedback are more likely to be hurting you. The occasional contract that ends without feedback does not hurt you, but a significant percentage really does, and 4 out of 13 is a significant percentage. If you get your clients to end the contracts and don't just end them yourself, you are guaranteed feedback and only end up closing contracts yourself for the occasional client who goes missing in action and never appears again.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

@bev C wrote:

I am not sure what you mean... You can not accept a fixed rate contract without at least one funded milestone?

If all your open contracts have funded milestones you are getting dangerously close to the point where at least one will be automatically ended and the funds returned to the client for being open for 3 months...

I think the 4 contracts that you closed without feedback are more likely to be hurting you. The occasional contract that ends without feedback does not hurt you, but a significant percentage really does, and 4 out of 13 is a significant percentage. If you get your clients to end the contracts and don't just end them yourself, you are guaranteed feedback and only end up closing contracts yourself for the occasional client who goes missing in action and never appears again.

bevcam
Community Member

Thanks Petra 🙂 I'm not complaining, I'm learning. I assumed that I should close the contacts. Maybe I should have asked first.

I'm confident that my JSS will go up again.

bevcam
Community Member

Seeing that I'm learning Petra, what I have also been doing is withdrawing proposals if I don't have a response within about 48 hours. Is that also wrong? I just assume that I'm unsuccessful.

This closing/withdrawing thing comes from my background as a recruiter. It is vital to advise a candidate if they are unsuccessful as soon as possible. Old habits die hard! 

petra_r
Community Member

@bev C wrote:

Seeing that I'm learning Petra, what I have also been doing is withdrawing proposals if I don't have a response within about 48 hours. Is that also wrong? I just assume that I'm unsuccessful.

This closing/withdrawing thing comes from my background as a recruiter. It is vital to advise a candidate if they are unsuccessful as soon as possible. Old habits die hard! 

Why would you do that? You don't get the Connects back and they don't hurt you.

My approach is to apply and completely forget about it unless and until a client gets back to me, which can be days, weeks or months later. Many clients leave jobs open for days or even weeks to see what response they get.

Just leave them be 🙂

bevcam
Community Member

Thanks for helping me cut my teeth on Upwork Petra 🙂 I genuinely thought that open jobs and open proposals would be a negative. I'm learning!

petra_r
Community Member

@bev C wrote:

Thanks Petra 🙂 I'm not complaining, I'm learning. I assumed that I should close the contacts. Maybe I should have asked first.

I'm confident that my JSS will go up again.

I'm sure it will but make sure that your client from the oldest contract releases a bit of money to you very soon before it becomes a problem....

bevcam
Community Member

I submitted work to her on December 16th, again just after Christmas, early January and I followed up with her this morning. She keeps blaming the festive holidays, but this morning she said she will have time to read through the book. I'll follow up again tomorrow if I don't hear from her. I want o give her the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for the heads-up on Upworks's possible approach. I really appreciate it Petra.

amji1993
Community Member

Dear Bev,

Your question was soon resolve

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths