🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Jack of all trades VS Master of some?
Page options
colincowley
Community Member

Jack of all trades VS Master of some?

Hey,

I'm new to Upwork and have got a decent amount of experience behind me from doing digital marketing over the past 10 years.

My question is, starting out on the platform- is it "better" to have your newly created profile (and proposals) reflect your entire range of skills/experience versus to be selective and show only some skills to overall create a more of a specialized view on you as a service provider.

"Better" referring to the success rate of obtaining projects in general.

I realize this question does not have a definitive answer, but perspectives from anyone who has had experience with the topic would be greatly appreciated! Both from freelancers and job posters.

Thank you-

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
florydev
Community Member

Hey back,

It depends on what you mean entire range?  Like if you do digital marketing, cake baking, and bellly dancing then no, I think that might be too broad. If you do digital marketing, copywriting, and some other things that are tangitially related then the maybe yes.

I can say that it is probably a good idea to find a little gold mine of a niche and exploit it.  The problem, in some ways, isn't finding one but recognizing it when you find it. Repeat, demonstrated experience is a serious trump card when getting work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Most clients clients come here to hire somebody who is very skilled at doing something. They are not looking to hire someone who is mediocre at lots of things.

I can only speak for myself, but when I hire freelancers on Upwork, it is to do a very specific type of work. One of the first things I look at in a freelancer's profile is if they do lots of OTHER types of work, and if they do, I discard their applications.

florydev
Community Member

Hey back,

It depends on what you mean entire range?  Like if you do digital marketing, cake baking, and bellly dancing then no, I think that might be too broad. If you do digital marketing, copywriting, and some other things that are tangitially related then the maybe yes.

I can say that it is probably a good idea to find a little gold mine of a niche and exploit it.  The problem, in some ways, isn't finding one but recognizing it when you find it. Repeat, demonstrated experience is a serious trump card when getting work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths