🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Job Success Rate Lowered
Page options
sarahgualtieri
Community Member

Job Success Rate Lowered

I have 4 completed jobs so far with 3 5 star ratings and 1 that is almost 5 stars. My job success rate is only 88%. I have a job that has been open for more than a week because the client has not had time to give me instructions. I have followed up with the client but don't wish to pressure them so I have kept the project open. I also have a repeat client that I have two ongoing hourly projects open. Is having these jobs open hurting my success rate?  What is the best practice to keep clients happy and have a better success rate?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rverang
Community Member

@sarah G wrote:

I have a job that has been open for more than a week because the client has not had time to give me instructions. I have followed up with the client but don't wish to pressure them so I have kept the project open. I also have a repeat client that I have two ongoing hourly projects open. Is having these jobs open hurting my success rate?

No, in progres projects doesn't hurt your score, it actually helps it.

I have 4 completed jobs so far with 3 5 star ratings and 1 that is almost 5 stars. My job success rate is only 88%.

If your JSS before today's update was higher, then it's the last project you completed that hurt your JSS. I see they rated you 5 stars, but might not be as kind in the private feedback.

What is the best practice to keep clients happy and have a better success rate?

You can't please everyone, as the saying goes. Just keep working hard and you'll eventually be rewarded.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
afifield
Community Member

Because you have all 5 stars, (1) 4.6 stars and no jobs with no feedback, I assume it would most likely be lower private feedback from the 4.6 star client or another. Clients can leave private feedback that is opposite to the star rating they left you. You also don't have too many jobs right now so if you keep adding it will most likely improve.   

rverang
Community Member

@sarah G wrote:

I have a job that has been open for more than a week because the client has not had time to give me instructions. I have followed up with the client but don't wish to pressure them so I have kept the project open. I also have a repeat client that I have two ongoing hourly projects open. Is having these jobs open hurting my success rate?

No, in progres projects doesn't hurt your score, it actually helps it.

I have 4 completed jobs so far with 3 5 star ratings and 1 that is almost 5 stars. My job success rate is only 88%.

If your JSS before today's update was higher, then it's the last project you completed that hurt your JSS. I see they rated you 5 stars, but might not be as kind in the private feedback.

What is the best practice to keep clients happy and have a better success rate?

You can't please everyone, as the saying goes. Just keep working hard and you'll eventually be rewarded.

It seems highly unlikely that the 5 star clients would give bad private feedback because they never had one negative comment and both of those clients have rehired me now more than once. I suppose it could have been the 4.6 client even though I thought the job went well. However one 4.6 and a private lower score doesn't seem like it should bring me down to 88%. I guess it's possible that they gave bad private feedback but it doesn't seem to add up.

@sarah G wrote:

However one 4.6 and a private lower score doesn't seem like it should bring me down to 88%. I guess it's possible that they gave bad private feedback but it doesn't seem to add up.

Because you have only a few jobs completed at the moment, each one weighs heavily.

Have you given any refunds or closed any contracts where there were no earnings?

If not, it's probably the private feedback.

@sarah G wrote:

However one 4.6 and a private lower score doesn't seem like it should bring me down to 88%. I guess it's possible that they gave bad private feedback but it doesn't seem to add up.

With only 4 completed contracts each represents a whopping quarter of your work to date.

It is entirely possible for one contract to tank your JSS to even the 70s in such a case.

On the other hand a couple of successful outcomes will also bring your JSS up again into the nice safe realm of 90% plus.

ferhatolcum
Community Member

Hi All,

Somehow my success rate lowered even I don't have any new jobs. Before it was 100% and today it's %80. There is no difference between today and two weeks before. Also, I have mostly five stars and good feedbacks.

It's also strange that my responsiveness ratio has dropped too. It says "You replied to 7 of 8 invitations to apply in the past 90 days: " but it's impossible. I generally have replied those invitations within an hour. The last one I've replied maybe took 8 hours, but always I've replied them. There is no missing I'm pretty sure.

There is one another strange thing happened last week. My "profile views" has been reset for a few days. All the weeks seemed 0 for a few days. But it's fixed right now.

So, there can be a technical problem. How can you help me? Thank you.

Hi Ferhat,

Your Job Success Score is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months windows, and the JSS is updated every second week on Sunday.
There are many factors that go into your JSS calculation including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, pattern of contracts without feedback, etc. To learn more details about your Job success score and why it has changed check out this Help Article.

Responsiveness to invitation is not included in your JSS calculation. And last week we had an issue with the statistic for profile views but not this is also resolved. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran,

How is the JSS updated only once ever 6 months or a year, but you are saying it is updated every second week? That makes no sense.

Also, I have done one job so far. I got 5 stars. Yes when I go to make a proposal, I see that the criteria says I do not have higher than an 80 percent Job Success Rate. How is that possible? And where are people seeing their JSS?

Thanks.

Alexandra H wrote:

Goran,

How is the JSS updated only once ever 6 months or a year, but you are saying it is updated every second week? That makes no sense.

JSS is updated every other week. In that update, your scores are calculated based on a 6-month, 12-month, and 24-month window, and your JSS is the highest of the three. That is, Upwork calculates your score based on all jobs closed in the past 6 months, and all jobs closed in the past 12 months, and all jobs closed in the past 24 months and your score is the best of those three.

Thus,  negative feedback negative feedback drops out of one possible calculation window after 6 months and drops out of any possible calculation after 24 months.

You don't get JSS until you have something of a track record--usually four or five jobs. When you do, it will appear on your profile and on your "My Stats" page.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths