🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Job Success Score Fix
Page options
jackson-ms
Community Member

Job Success Score Fix

Greetings,

I've recently noticed that my Job Success Score has dropped from 74% to 62%.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0158aaf6acb7fd5435 

On my profile, I have have receive 4-5 stars for public feedback. However I recognize that there is the strong possibility that I received negative private feedback and this can contribute to my score.

I also have two long contracts going back to February. One client has paused the contract while the other has not responded to my question in months. In both cases, I have not received compensation since April.  Could this also contribute to my low JSS and what can I do to remedy this?  

Thanks again,

Kari

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ambroz
Community Member

Miriam,

probably he has not received the "client recommend" score yet. He has just 8 jobs (2 still in progress).

Kari,

You are in the middle of "hard Upwork freelancer's time". It means you have enough projects to calculate JSS, and so few of them that every bad feedback significantly impact your JSS. 

Suggestion is: just keep going and try to do your best to make your clients happy with your work 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
m_sharman
Community Member

What is your client recommend you score? That's basically your private feedback.
ambroz
Community Member

Miriam,

probably he has not received the "client recommend" score yet. He has just 8 jobs (2 still in progress).

Kari,

You are in the middle of "hard Upwork freelancer's time". It means you have enough projects to calculate JSS, and so few of them that every bad feedback significantly impact your JSS. 

Suggestion is: just keep going and try to do your best to make your clients happy with your work 🙂

Thank you Ambroz for your explanation and suggestion.

Does this apply when I have a "No Feedback Given" on a job? I had a job go idle (months without doing any work), then I noticed my score went to 80% despite all of my completed jobs being 5 Stars. I now have one ongoing contract (Still being paid) and I closed the idle one out. I haven't been rated on the idle one I closed out yet and it tells me "No Feedback Given". 

It's kind of aggravating that my score can drop with an idle job or a job without feedback.

I don't get this answer. Can you clarify? Thank you!

This is a year-old thread. Also, please use the quote function so it's clear which comment you are addressing.

petra_r
Community Member

Kari J wrote:

I also have two long contracts going back to February. One client has paused the contract while the other has not responded to my question in months. In both cases, I have not received compensation since April.  Could this also contribute to my low JSS

No.

Those two jobs had money spent on them, so don't hurt you when they go idle.

What hurts is poor private feedback and jobs that are idle for months with nothing ever paid or close with nothing ever paid or are fully refunded.

Thank you so much Petra for clarifying this issue. 

My success score has recently dropped a few percent.  But I have only had 3 completed jobs with excellent scores and many other jobs have gone dormant for the moment.  I read in this same thread that if a job has money spent on it that goes dormant that it does not hurt your success score.  So all of my currently open jobs have had money spent on them.  So I am wondering what is causing my success score to start declining.

I also had one recent potential client that turned out to be a problem and I bowed out of the project politely before the project ever started.  Could this potential client have provided negative feedback, even though no project was started, that could impact my success score? 

Thanks much.

Dave

Same here.

My job success score also dropped 100% to 93%.

I recently worked 3 projects and completed everything with quality result.

So, I had 3 happy clients and got 3 excellent feedback from them.

I don't understand why it drops in this case.

Please advise me what was wrong.

Thank you!

Zach

Yeah, I have to say, Upwork is really disappointing in this realm.  It needs to be more transparent about job success scores. 

I have not been on Upwork for sometime.  The last time I was, I had a 100% success rate and -- importantly, I think -- was a dues-paying Upwork user.  I just checked my profile and, after several months of nothing, I suddenly have a 76% job score!  Clearly, this has nothing to do with private feedback (I know this because I've seen it happen multiple times over the years -- my score drops precipitously when I'm away from Upwork, then pops right back up after I've been back on the platform for a while and, especially, if I become a dues-paying member).  So I can only assume that Upwork is punishing me for not having been on the platform for a while. 

So I have to ask, given that this seems to be some sort of strategy on Upwork's part, who in the world can get a job with a 76% job score?  If you want to punish us for not paying you dues, fine, but find some other way to do it, or to reward those who do.  Bundling your incentive/disincentives into job success scores is just not fair -- a "success" score should be just that -- an exclusive reflection of one's actual feedback as a freelancer, both public and private.  By telling the world I have a 76% success rate, you're basically suggesting I'm an inferior freelancer, which I am not -- every single review I have is 5-stars and, as I said, if I had negative feedback it would have shown up long ago.  The only thing that has changed is that I haven't used Upwork in a while. 

(Also, on the unrelated topic of private feedback, while you of course need not tell us who left the private feedback or what they said, why not be transparent in telling us, for example, that while your public feedback is X, your private feedback is Y, thus you have an overall success rate of Z.  You at least owe us this level of transparency.)

I actually reached out to an exec at Upwork and, to my surprise, she got right back to me and was very helpful.  Here's what she said about my situation:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I definitely appreciated the response, though I told her that I thought it a bit strange that something so arbitrary could wrench a 100% score to 76% in a matter of months.  In any event, I also suggested this to her:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

David C wrote:

My success score has recently dropped a few percent.  But I have only had 3 completed jobs with excellent scores and many other jobs have gone dormant for the moment.  I read in this same thread that if a job has money spent on it that goes dormant that it does not hurt your success score.  So all of my currently open jobs have had money spent on them.  So I am wondering what is causing my success score to start declining.

I also had one recent potential client that turned out to be a problem and I bowed out of the project politely before the project ever started.  Could this potential client have provided negative feedback, even though no project was started, that could impact my success score? 

Thanks much.

Dave

If you have not been hired, no impact. If you have been hired and earned no money and the contract was ended, that's not good for your rating.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths