Job Success Score: At least 90%

Include Rising Talent: Yes

I have experience, just not on UpWork. 

Thanks!

Malissa

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
stanleykibet
Community Member

If you want to start small, search for newbies and you'll get clients who are hiring people lacking work histories and JSSs. 
However, you can take a leap of faith and apply for the expert jobs that have these requirements. As long as you have a portfolio, you have a chance of getting the gig. I applied both newbie and expert jobs at first... before you know it... I am hired just because I had an outstanding proposal.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Malissa,

I'm sorry to hear that. You may still submit proposals to those job posts even though you don't meet all the requirements. You may also read these helpful links to boost your chances of getting hired here on Upwork:

Submitting a winning proposal

Enhance your profile

Untitled
leajean
Community Member

Thank you!

stanleykibet
Community Member

If you want to start small, search for newbies and you'll get clients who are hiring people lacking work histories and JSSs. 
However, you can take a leap of faith and apply for the expert jobs that have these requirements. As long as you have a portfolio, you have a chance of getting the gig. I applied both newbie and expert jobs at first... before you know it... I am hired just because I had an outstanding proposal.

craiggabriel
Community Member

Malissa, those really aren't "requirements," not literally. They are more like preferences. Some are already filled in as defaults for clients (including the 90% JSS one), and some clients don't even realize they're there.

Unfortunately there's no way to know for sure with a given job post if a client is going to interpret one of those "requirements" as a dealbreaker and so not even consider freelancers who don't satisfy it, as an important factor with a lot of weight, as a minor factor with little weight, or as something to be ignored entirely because they didn't even intentionally set it where it is.

All else being equal, your chances of getting a given job are higher if you meet all the "requirements" than if you don't, but it's not 100% and 0%. You can still apply and might still be chosen; your odds just aren't as good.

Be sure that your profile and your proposal highlight your experience and expertise.  Remember, none of us had JSS when we started and many of us started before Rising Talent even existed.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths