🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Job Success Score
Page options
elisejb
Community Member

Job Success Score

Hi,

I just got my JSS - 63%

I don't understand how it could be this low. I have received feedback on 4 jobs -

2 were 5*
1 was 4.8
1 was 4.6

That should be a score of 97%

I understand that the client who gave me the rating of 4.6 gave me poor private feedback, but I do not understand how this would have such a negative affect - is there a way I can dispute this?

I also have a client who has not given me work in several weeks yet has not closed the account - is this bringing my score down?

I find this detrimental to my continued work on UpWork as I have endeavoured to provide my clients with the best service, have received open and positive feedback from each client, yet am seemingly being brought down by forces beyond my control.

Could you please advise me as to why my score is so low and what I can do.

I have read forums about people deleting jobs from their profile to keep their JSS high in the event a client gives them a negative score. This seems childish to me and I would rather avoid that, but it seems unreasonable to be brought down so severely for circumstances outside of my control.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Elise B wrote:
 - but before I began, there was a minor dispute over my rate which I conceded on but feel I was ultimately punished for in the end.

1. You are already too cheap as it is. That attracts the wrong kind of clients.
  2. Any client who squabbles over my price is declined. That never ends well.
  3. Your success on this platform, long term, will be determined more by the clients you turn down than those you accept...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Removing feedback is available only to Top Rated freelancers. 

That being said, the more jobs you have, the smaller effect each one will have.  Take a few small jobs that you know you can do perfectly and your JSS will go up.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply! I new to the system so I apprecitate the help.

My main concern and question is, do you know why it's be calculated this low in the first place, given the positive feedback I have received?

Elise B wrote:
Hi, thanks so much for your reply! I new to the system so I apprecitate the help.

My main concern and question is, do you know why it's be calculated this low in the first place, given the positive feedback I have received?

You can get some insight here: Your Job Success Score on Upwork but the exact algorithm is not something they disclose to avoid it being gamed.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thanks for sending on the article.

I'm really just trying to learn and avoid mistakes and pitfalls in the future, not play the system or complain unreasonably.

It was just not what I was expecting as I have been working hard to maintain good client feedback and relations.

Thanks for your help.
petra_r
Community Member

Elise B wrote:

The "default" tends to be 5 stars, which is what most clients give most of their freelancers as public feedback.

There is also private feedback, and that private feedback is what has the biggest effect on your job success score.

Chances are you had poor private feedback, given that half your clients marked you down on quality...

elisejb
Community Member

Thanks for the reply

- really basic question, where can I find the breakdown of the reviews ie. points for quality/communication etc. ? I've been looking and can only find the overall rating.

Thanks again!
petra_r
Community Member

Elise B wrote:

- really basic question, where can I find the breakdown of the reviews ie. points for quality/communication etc. ? I've been looking and can only find the overall rating.

Just go to your profile and click on the job, that brings up the breakdown.

You need to vet clients FAAAAR more carefully. The type of cheap clients who hire cheap freelancers and then give them lower feedback must be avoided.

I walk away from any client who habitually dishes out low(er) feedback and I also avoid clients who keep hiring cheap people for jobs that should pay far more going by the requirements. Those kind of people will murder your profile and kill your freelancing career.

You'd think they would be grateful to get XYZ for half or a fraction of the going rate, but that is not the case most of the time..

Those wannapreneurs are as mean with their feedback as they are with their money.

elisejb
Community Member

This is probably the biggest thing I will take away from this experience - thank you!

I've been so eager to get any work, I haven't been focused on the type of client but I will be more careful in the future. The frsutrating thing is, the job in question that I got negative feedback for, was cutting a few YouTube videos together - very basic, quick turnaround time and I asked if there were any adjustments needed to which there was no reply - but before I began, there was a minor dispute over my rate which I conceded on but feel I was ultimately punished for in the end.

Live and learn!

Thank you again!
petra_r
Community Member

Elise B wrote:
 - but before I began, there was a minor dispute over my rate which I conceded on but feel I was ultimately punished for in the end.

1. You are already too cheap as it is. That attracts the wrong kind of clients.
  2. Any client who squabbles over my price is declined. That never ends well.
  3. Your success on this platform, long term, will be determined more by the clients you turn down than those you accept...

elisejb
Community Member

Honestly, thank you so much for this advice - you've given me a lot to think about. Moving forward, my strategy with applying and accepting jobs will be much different to how it has been. Quality over quantity is always the best way to look at things I guess! Again, thanks for the help!

Hi Petra, I also just got my JSS - 50%, I feel that there must be an error somewhere. I have over 6 great reviews. I do not know why the JSS is really low because I put in my best to satisfy my clients.

My job success score is also low.  I have $1,000 in billings, a 4.3 a 4.6 and the rest are scores of 5.  My job success score if 56 percent!  It's keeping me from getting enw jobs.  Why is the score so low??

lysis10
Community Member

If I were you, I'd stop looking at your JSS for the next 6 months and just bid like you would if it was at 100%. This way you don't stress over it, you just do your thing and focus on the important things -- $$$$$$$$$

You probably know what client it was and if you feel it was your skills or quality, then you can just focus on that.

elisejb
Community Member

Thanks for your reply!

This is a good point and I'll continue to improve and work hard with future projects. It's all a learning curve and I've been striving to make the most out of this opportunity.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths