🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Job closed. What now?
Page options
393cd80a
Community Member

Job closed. What now?

I submitted a proposal last week. The client accepted my proposal and gave me clear instructions on what they wanted. I accepted the offer yesterday, got a message that my contract was started. The work is due in a week. Then I get up this morning to get started only to see a message saying the job was closed and my proposal was archived. I'm confused. Am I still obligated to do the work? The original post said they were looking for 99 freelancers and when I applied the post was only about an hour or so old. I'm not sure what to do. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pudingstudio
Community Member

Deondra G wrote:

I submitted a proposal last week. The client accepted my proposal and gave me clear instructions on what they wanted. I accepted the offer yesterday, got a message that my contract was started. The work is due in a week. Then I get up this morning to get started only to see a message saying the job was closed and my proposal was archived. I'm confused. Am I still obligated to do the work? The original post said they were looking for 99 freelancers and when I applied the post was only about an hour or so old. I'm not sure what to do. 

Don't work on that project. Forget about that one.

It's most probably removed due to some violation from client. Nothing to do with you.

If it is a violation from client, you were lucky it got closed. Otherwise you'd do the work and likely never get payed.
Try to notice what was off about that job post and distinguish those "fake" jobs from real ones.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pudingstudio
Community Member

Deondra G wrote:

Don't work on that project. Forget about that one.

It's most probably removed due to some violation from client. Nothing to do with you.

If it is a violation from client, you were lucky it got closed. Otherwise you'd do the work and likely never get payed.
Try to notice what was off about that job post and distinguish those "fake" jobs from real ones.

Thank you so much! 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Have you been officially hired on upwork? It does not sound like you were.

Yes, I was upgraded to member... If that means anything. I've been submitting proposals, my profile is complete. Did all my paperwork. What would I see to tell me if I'm not officially hired with Upwork? 

Upwork is not hiring you, you are being hired by the client through Upwork.

I strongly suggest you read the terms of service, you sound confused about how the site works. Upwork is simply the medium, a platform to hire and be hired. They do not pay you, the client does, and the client sets up the contract. If you had been hired, it would show up on your profile, or in your "Contracts" tab.

It sounds like the client verbally told you they wanted to hire you, and you took that as an indication of a contract. Not how it works.

Deondra G wrote:

Yes, I was upgraded to member... If that means anything. I've been submitting proposals, my profile is complete. Did all my paperwork. What would I see to tell me if I'm not officially hired with Upwork? 

Being verified by UpWork and working through UpWork aren't the same.

Martina asked if you have had a contract with that client. IF that is unclear, please check out all of the 101's. There is plethora of USEFUL articles. Read all of that boring stuff.

If you opt not to do that, you won't have a great time here on UpWork.

We can point you to right direction, but it is up to you to guide yourself.

You were not hired. You didn't click the green "accept" offer button. Otherwise you would not see your proposal to be archived in the middle of a contract. Never do any work before you have a contract. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths