🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Job offer from text message?
Page options
458711e7
Community Member

Job offer from text message?

Hello, I am new to Upwork, having only one job thus far, so I am still vague on how it all works.  I got a text message on my phone from someone who said she got my contact information from Upwork.  She is offering a job (Virtual Assitant), but I have nothing in my messages or alerts here on Upwork.  Am I right in thinking this is a scammer who somehow got my information?  Are our phone numbers just publicly obtainable from this site?  I find it very odd that I get this text from someone within a few hours of submitting a couple of proposals.  Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.  

2 REPLIES 2
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Sounds like a scam to me.  A client must contact you through Upwork and all conversations must be on Upwork until you have a signed contract. It's pretty odd that you got a random text like that.

Your information is not available through the platform. That being said, I live in a small town and have a unique last name.  I had rejected an invitation from a client and that might have showed my last name.  Next thing I knew, the jerk was on the telephone.  (I didn't answer, blocked him on Upwork and moved on with my life)

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ryan,

Privacy and security of our users' information is very important to us. The information you provide to us is governed by our Privacy Policy: https://www.upwork.com/legal#privacy where you can also read about the steps we take to protect and secure it.

I've checked and confirmed that the job you're reerring to has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths