cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job offer through upworks- how does this work?

Cheryl R W Member Since: Nov 28, 2016
1 of 10

I received a job proposal from**Edited for Community Guidelines** I interviewed with them and they have offered me a position. How does this work with Upworks? Do I get paid through Upworks?

Community Guru
Samrat C Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
2 of 10

Hi Cheryl R W,

You may read the article ( written by Vladimir G- community moderator) in the link below:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 10

re: "Do I get paid through Upworks?"

You only get paid through Upwork.

If a client mentions any other way to pay you then either:

a) they are a scammer

or

b) they are new to Upwork and you need to guide them to use Upwork the right way - which means they pay Upwork. They don't pay you directly.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 10

Did they interview you on Google Hangouts and say they will send you a check?

unless they sent you a proper Upwork contract offer, they have not offered you anything other than a chance to be scammed out of an awful lot of money.

Bidda P Member Since: Apr 5, 2017
5 of 10

Hi there I new to Upwork and I'm am pretty sure someone is trying to scam me as well.

I received an email from upwork with a direct invitation to connect with the client on google hangout. I have not receives any messages in my official Upwork email inbox corresponding to that one.

They claimed to be from **Edited for Community Guidelines** and offered me a position. I gave my name, address and phone number. They said they would send me a check to buy supplies. I just found it all too weird especially since I know Upwork's policy regarding pay and they refused to answer any questions. How can I be sure that the client is legit?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 10

@Bidda P wrote:

How can I be sure that the client is legit?

You mean this specific "client"? The one who wants you to cash a forged check?

Well, at least you already know that that one is a scammer.

What about reading the link provided in this very thread, few messages below?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
7 of 10

yeah ok sorry I didn't notice the link. But it just looks like it's sent from the official upwork "donotreply@upwork.com" that's wh I'm confused unless then the majority of my emails from upwork are sacmmers

Cheryl R W Member Since: Nov 28, 2016
8 of 10

Yes, that is exactly what they did. I knew it did not sound right and when I kept pressing them about Upwork procedures they would not reply.  I see now, they have been blocked from using Upworks. Thanks.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 10

Cheryl and Bidda,

The jobs and client's accounts you both are referring to in your posts have already been removed from the platform since they were in violation of Upwork ToS. Please, check out the post that was linked to this thread earlier as well as this post.

When you get an invite from a client via Upwork platform, you receive an email notification that comes from Upwork email address.

~ Valeria
Untitled
10 of 10

Valeria thank you for the update and links. Cleared up a lot of things.

It does seem "newbies" are targeted a lot and right when you start there is a lot of information to process. Now I am wiser and will be more careful in the future. I will continue to use Upwork's services Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS