Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job paused with open milestone?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
1 of 16

Hi everybody,

Sometimes inactive jobs are paused automatically by Upwork. Does this also happen to jobs with open milestones, and if so, after what period of time? 

I wouldn't want to risk to do the work and find the contract paused automatically afterwards. 

The last milestone was activated March 3, 2017. 

Thanks for you help!

Gerald

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 16

Hi Gerald,

Please note that only Hourly contracts are paused automatically after 30 days of inactivity.

Highlighted
Community Leader
3 of 16

Hi Vladimir,

thanks for the clarification! However, today I received the following message from Upwork support: 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I had already put some work into the existing milestone. What would happen, if I finish the work for the milestone in the next 2 weeks and request payment for it, if the client does not react to this either?

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 16

Hi Gerald, 

I checked this with the team and can confirm that we didn't send out a notification to you today regarding pausing a contract. Could you please send in a private message a screen grab of the email so that we can look into this further?

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
5 of 16

Hi Avery,

thanks for the message. If it is just early morning at your place it may have been yesterday. It was 2 hours ago.

Highlighted
Community Leader
6 of 16

After Avery deleted the message from this post, even though I of course had already x-ed out all personal information, the post does not make sense any more, so here´s what´s happened: I received a completely genuine looking letter from Upwork support 3 hours ago. Everything including the link in G-mail was as always. It said after the contract being "idle" for 76 days they had contacted my client and would demand the money back from escrow after 14 days, if no "milestone updates, payments or refunds" were made in this time, or the client would take action the contract would be closed by Upwork. 

I have sent the screens to Avery already. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 16

So are there any answers yet? Is somebody very successfully posing as "upwork support" posting from "donotreply@upwork.com" or is there a limitation of 90 days to open milestones without activity. 
And if so, could somebody answer my initial question?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
8 of 16

Gerald, legally Upwork can not hold Escrow funds forever. The notification means that the funds have sat in Escrow for nearing the 90 day deadline with no activity and at 90 days the funds have to be returned to the payment method they came from.

Surely you have done SOME work on this 76 day old contract? Request a partial milestone payout which will reset the clock.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 16

Gerald,

I'd like to clarify that hourly contracts can be paused by the client or automatically after 30 days of inactivity. Fixed-price contracts don't get paused.

However, as Petra pointed out, Upwork can't legally hold users' money in Escrow without any activity for longer than 90 days. That's why 2 weeks before the 90-day period is up both the freelancer and the client are notified and asked to take actions on milestones that's been inactive. I believe you are referring to one of those messages.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
10 of 16

Thanks Petra and Valeria for your heads up! I think I will request a partial payout for the work I have already done like you suggested, Petra!. 
First time for everything. Will keep the 90 days rule in mind for the future.