cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job proposal comm that has gone outside of upwork.

Ryan H Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
1 of 5

I have accepted a job for a client. I'm having suspicions though because 1) we have only been communicating via google hangouts. 2) Once I disclosed my experience the client asked for samples of new work for them -- the description of the work lead me to believe that I should be getting paid for this work. However, there is no way to ensure that I receive compensation for the work that I will be doing and send to them. The client prefaced the assignment with "I'd like to know how you think".

I attached a screen grab of your conversation. I'd like to know the community's thoughts. I am a new upwork freelancer and could use all the advice I get. 

I am keeping the conversation positive in the event that it isn't so 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 5

Ryan, the screen grab didn't work, or moderators removed it for privacy reasons, but you are correct when you observe that "there is no way to ensure that I receive compensation for the work that I will be doing". So tell the client Upwork prohibits free work and you can only send samples after they've offered you a contract, and if they refuse, you can report them to support for violating Upwork terms.

3 of 5

Google Hangouts is where all the scammers are.

Don't start working for them unless you have an active contract on this site, their account is verified and escrow is FULLY funded BEFORE you start working.

Don't pay for anything that the client says you need, Don't give out personal information, not even your address. And don't accept checks that the client wants to send to you. ALL financial transaction MUST take place on this site. How the client wants to fund escrow is up to them but escrow should defintely be fully funded before working.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

Ryan: You are an Upwork newbie. Scammers target newbies. They use Google Hangouts. There is essentially no way for you to get any money from any "clients" who use Google Hangouts. You're just wasting your time with those people. If you want to learn more about scammers, then go ahead and communicate with those people.

But if you are busy and if you are here to earn money, then end communications with anybody as soon as they mention Google Hangouts.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 5

Hi Ryan,

Please note that you weren't hired for the job you had an interview for with a prospective client. You can ask your client to send you an offer on Upwork in order for the contract to be created and for them to be able to process payment for the work you deliver.

In case your client asked for free work or offered direct payment, please take screenshots of their message and report them directly to Customer Support. Going forward, make sure to start working only after you've been hired for the job on Upwork and have an active contracts under the My Jobs tab.

Please review the freelancer resources and safety tips we shared, in order to familiarize yourself with Upwork's features and processes, be able to recognize jobs that violate Upwork ToS and work safely on Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS