🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Job removed for ToS Violation. Client has...
Page options
sdsnow86
Community Member

Job removed for ToS Violation. Client has continued to contact me and claims they resolved the issue

Hi Upwork Community! This is a new issue for me. I generally ignore sketchy job offers and don't click on jobs that don't seem legit. However, I applied for one yesterday that had a number of jobs posted and by all accounts seemed legit. I received a message overnight about interviewing. I agreed to interview today and shortly thereafter the job was removed for ToS violations. I hid the conversation and basically forgot about the job. I have been contacted by this client again and after telling them their job was removed and that I cannot work with them, they claim to have resolved the issue and that it was a simple mistake. How should I proceed? 

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

It IS POSSIBLE or a client to post a job and have that removed by Upwork (either automatically or manually) for a ToS violation, and it is possible that if this happens, the client could resolve the matter and return to hire legitimately on Upwork.

Sometimes job postings are removed automatically which actually do not violate Upwork ToS, due to an imperfect automated filter getting tripped.

If a client had a job removed, and then contacted me on Upwork to tell me that the issue was resolved, I would be happy to discuss his project with him.

Of course, I say this as an experienced Upwork user. A newbie should probably just block the client. But if an Upwork freelancer knows what they are doing, there should be no harm in talking to such a client.

Thank you for your response. I could not find the reposted job and based on what little outside research I could do on the client, it's difficult to tell if they are legitimate or not. I'm not so new as to need to take a job that I'm unsure about. I think as you said I will err on the side of caution. Is there a way to check out a client's ratings without having an active proposal for a job?

Sam S wrote:

Thank you for your response. I could not find the reposted job and based on what little outside research I could do on the client, it's difficult to tell if they are legitimate or not. 

Why not ask the client for the link to their reposted job?

They contacted me in a message for the removed job and then stopped responding. I told them I understood that could happen, but just to be clear that I did not accept payments outside of Upwork or interviews on outside sites. I assume maybe this upset them. I did see a new post for the same job from them just a little while ago but the stats they have on the site don't add up and it just seems off. The reason I am concerned is because I have heard claims of a company like this trying to get freelancers to meet on outside sites and give up personal info for illicit purposes. With no way to verify the client's validity I won't risk it

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths