Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job's Description

Highlighted
Houda S Member Since: Dec 13, 2016
1 of 3

Hello There,

I just would like to ask:

There are a lot of employers that don't provide enough details at their job's descriptions.

Can you do anything to understand what the employer really wants before submitting a proposal?

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,

Houda Silva. 

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 3

Unfortunately, the answer is a resounding no.  However, as an upside, if the job title interests you and you DO put in a proposal and ask more questions about the job, you just may find an outstanding client.  Sometimes clients are actually waiting to see who bothers to ask questions.  Smiley Happy

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 3

Houda:

Keep in mind that YOU are the professional.

A lot of clients really don't know how to write a better job description for a job that YOU are going to do. They're doing the best they can. It's like when I need to hire a plumber and I don't know plumber language, so I just say my "sink thing" is "broken." A plumber may need to ask me questions to figure out what part they need, or they may even need to come over and take a look. Because I don't know all the detailed plumber knowledge that they know.

The key is to not let your time with a client turn into free consultation. If you talk to a client a bit, enough for them to realize that you actually know what you're doing, then it's time for them to send you a contract and let you do your thing. Even if part of "that thing" involves you talking to them and finding out more information about their needs, and then formulating a plan for helping them achieve their goals.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS