cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job still in progress - No Feedback from Client

Ana L Member Since: Mar 8, 2017
1 of 12

Hi, I am rather new to UpWork.

I am a Spanish translator from Spain. I completed a job with  a week ago. But although it seems I have been paid, the job shows as still "in progress" sometimes, whereas my profile shows as I am not under a contract at the moment.

On the other side, it was my first job on UpWork. I made it for very little money in order to build myself a reputation here. I have completed the job to the customer total satisfaction, but although they agreed I deserved a positive feedback, they have still not done and they are not answering to my messages through the chat...

Is there something I can do to unblock this situation? 

Thank you for any hint you can offer me.

Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
2 of 12
as for the second part:
did the client actually end the contract?
Feedback can only be provided once the contract is closed

and, from someone who made the same mistake, don't ever charge too little just because youre new here and even if it's your first job because it might get you the job now but it will reflect badly on your profile in the future.
3 of 12

Thank you Reem for your fast and sensible reply.

The job seems closed to me. In fact, I am able to leave a feedback for the client and UpWork advices me to let the client know I am available for future collaboration.

I know it was my fault charging little, however it was the only way to get a contract after six months in the platform. I will be more sensible in the future, as I see it is worthless. 

Thank you so much again for your kind help!

Ana

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 12

Hi Ana,

I've checked and can confirm that while all the Milestones have been approved and released, your contract is still active. Please ask your client to end the contract by following these steps and allow them a bit of time to respond to your request. If they fail to respond, close the contract yourself.

5 of 12

Hi, Vladimir,

A big thanks for your helpful assistance, too. It is a pleasure to discover there is a very collaborative team and helpful users around here.

I will do so and let you know about the result. 

My best wishes,

Ana

6 of 12

Hi again, Vladimir and Reem,

the client has finally answered

However, and although they seem to have hired more freelancers in UpWork in the past, they are asking me about the billing process, which I must confess is totally unknown for me (as stated before, this is my first job on the platform or even in any other similar platform). After browsing the help menu and older messages, I haven't found any relevant info. I understand I must bill UpWork as they are who are really paying me and that the client should ask the platform about the bill... or maybe I am wrong? Any hint about the proccess would be greatly welcome. 

My best whishes,

Ana

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 12

Hi Ana,

The client has already released all the milestones to you and paid the amount that you agreed upon initially. If you go to your Reports> Overview, you'll see the funds available for you to withdraw. If the client wants to pay you more, they can do it either with a bonus or by creating and releasing another milestone. Otherwise, they can close the contract as Vladimir explained in his post.

Please, see this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
8 of 12

Thank you, Valeria, all your help is really appreciated as I am feeling a bit lost around here. 

I will allow some more time to the client to close the contract. If it fails, I will close it myself after a time. The customer still has to pay the taxes we agreed on at the beginning of the job. They forgot to include them.  It is really taking a lot of time for them to keep to our agreements although they are eager to assign me new jobs... I have send them the link Vadimir offered in his answer right after, but I am still waiting for them to add the amount left and to close the contract.

Instead, they ask me to send them the bill and that is something I still have to know: should I bill the client directly or must I bill Upwork? 

Thank you very much again,

Ana

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 12

@Ana L wrote:

Thank you, Valeria, all your help is really appreciated as I am feeling a bit lost around here. 

I will allow some more time to the client to close the contract. If it fails, I will close it myself after a time. The customer still has to pay the taxes we agreed on at the beginning of the job. They forgot to include them.  It is really taking a lot of time for them to keep to our agreements although they are eager to assign me new jobs... I have send them the link Vadimir offered in his answer right after, but I am still waiting for them to add the amount left and to close the contract.

Instead, they ask me to send them the bill and that is something I still have to know: should I bill the client directly or must I bill Upwork? 

Thank you very much again,

Ana

No. The client is not responsible for any Upwork fees or taxes you owe to your government. You should have costed these expenses into your proposal.

If you agreed a certain set  amount then the client pays that amount. However, if you stated a price and then added Upwork fees and tax to that amount - the client is not responsible for those extras.

You do not send them a bill. They have already been billed by Upwork (this facility is what you, as a freelancer, are paying for). Any payment off site is a violation of Upwork's policy and you risk having your account suspended. 

10 of 12

Thanks Nichola, that is what I wanted to know: I have not to bill the client but UpWork.

On the other side, I do not quite understand why you are infering I want to bill them outside UpWork?? It is the client who is asking me a bill! I am new to UpWork, and I just wanted to have some guidance about the billing process. I am feeling blamed for something I have not done!!

From the very beginning the client is trying to do their own will. They agreed to pay a 21% more, after I had offered them a really good price,. As my fee was VAT excluded, we agreed they would add a 21% more to the total (they do not have to pay my taxes, just to add the 21% more at the end of the work as a compensation, as agreed).

I would be really grateful if you could read my messages from the start more carefully.

All the best,

Ana Lago

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS