🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Job success score issue is impractical.
Page options
getrajat40
Community Member

Job success score issue is impractical.

So, we can't get work if we don't have a job success score of 90% (even if we are experienced designers), and we can't get a job success score without assignments. What an irony.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

@Rajat S wrote:

So, we can't get work if we don't have a job success score of 90%

Nonsense. Every single freelancer on the platform started without a JSS. You can still apply even when you don't meet all the preferences.

husainaa
Community Member

@Rajat S wrote:

So, we can't get work if we don't have a job success score of 90% (even if we are experienced designers), and we can't get a job success score without assignments. What an irony.

I don't know who told you this, but it's simply untrue, there's a lot more to a freelancer than his JSS, especially when he doesn't have one. 🙂

caitlin-skaalrud
Community Member

I have to say I share that feeling of frustration. I do most of my freelance not through Upwork, but there's so much opportunity here compared to working in a smallish-metropolitan area that it's becoming increasingly important to my work schedule. 

I've been applying for jobs for over a year, and finally was offered a contract for a job I'm suited for, that pays more than "$10 dollars, budget firm." I've been so frustrated that so many good jobs that I feel more than qualified for (no matter how small or generous the budget) seem to either go unanswered, or message me once and ghost.

As someone with a degree, 10+ years of experience, multiple grants/awards and a good working reputation in the "real world," getting started here can feel like starting from less than zero, somehow.

Personally, I'll usually make a note in proposals that says something to the effect of, "I don't have hours logged on Upwork but you can see (link here) examples of my recent freelance work for clients..." etc. Sometimes it helps elicit a response even if one of the job requirements is 90% JSS or more than 100 hours logged.

jmlaidlaw
Community Member

"So, we can't get work if we don't have a job success score of 90% (even if we are experienced designers), and we can't get a job success score without assignments. What an irony."

@ Rajat -- I think that you mis-understand the concept of "irony." What you really mean here is something more like "Catch-22."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths