cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job warning signs

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
61 of 956

I basically only do editing jobs and the occasional writing job if it looks interesting. I guess I should selfishly say "Yes, stay away from editing jobs" but  I won't.

There are good jobs to be found but it can take awhile. I will do small samples at times but I never edit the whole document. I typically do two pages at most.

I like doing this because it also gives me an indication of the client's writing ability and how much work is involved in editing--particularly if it's a fixed-price job.

Unfortunately, there are also a lot of low-ball clients here and freelancers who are willing to work for those prices Of course this is probably because a number of freelancers feel they can edit simply because they can read. I'm not directing this at you, but it is a fact with some of the profiles I've seen.

Patrick A. T Member Since: Nov 11, 2015
62 of 956

priceless.  :-)

Katrina C Member Since: Jun 13, 2009
63 of 956
Up. This list will certainly help a lot of people especially those who are new in oDesk..
Janeth N Member Since: Jun 27, 2008
64 of 956
I agree Katrina. Two thumbs up Darren Smiley Happy
Eric F Member Since: Dec 30, 2010
65 of 956
Hi guys., I'm quite new here on odesk, infact that was the first time that i have withdrew my money using paypal. I withdrew it last nov 17 and it was stated that the money will appear with-in 2hours. but until now it does not, i have contacted odesk support and agent told me to confirm my odesk email with my paypal. but stil it didn't work. Can somebody help me..? what are the things that i need to do..? anyway my paypal is verified. thanks.. Eric
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
66 of 956
1. Obvious, I know, but check all the settings and double-check that you've put the right email address etc. in 2. Contact support and take out a ticket: https://www.odesk.com/help/ticket
Xenia M Member Since: Aug 15, 2011
67 of 956
From what I know, the amount withdrawn from Paypal hits your bank acct. in 2-4 business days, not 2 hrs.
Ian T Member Since: Jun 7, 2009
68 of 956
Thanks mate. Bookmark!
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
69 of 956
"Mention of half-finished job/previous contractor/s" Similarly, I am quite suspicious of any job posting that over stresses the minimum requirements. For example, any professional writer will know that plagiarism is in no way acceptable and would never even consider submitting plagiarised work. A job post that overly stresses they will not accept plagiarised work is talking in a tone that suggests they feel they are not dealing with professionals. That they probably have had bad experiences in the past, which in turns makes it highly likely they pay peanuts. If you want original work, just a single mention of the word original will suffice and no professional writer will need to be explained what this means. If you feel the need to address me as though I have done something wrong before we have even had any communication with each other, the job being offered and the salary that comes with it will probably not be for me.
Erwin A Member Since: Aug 27, 2011
70 of 956
Thanks Darren! This is great! It's my first time finding this forum, my first reply. I really enjoyed reading your post. I'm a newbie here on oDesk and have experienced or seen everything you've just mentioned.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS