cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job warning signs

Highlighted
Erwin A Member Since: Aug 27, 2011
71 of 962
Thanks Darren! This is great! It's my first time finding this forum, my first reply. I really enjoyed reading your post. I'm a newbie here on oDesk and have experienced or seen everything you've just mentioned.
Highlighted
Judith B Member Since: Aug 26, 2011
72 of 962
you could also add all those that talk about being a "great opportunity for newbies" which means: no, it is not a great opportunity - the employer knows their rates are a joke and hopes to scam some recent arrival into accepting their "great opportunity" in return for feedback. I saw one of these today that actually threatened to give negative feedback for some infringement or other in the job description. Obviously, the pay was also ridiculous.
Highlighted
Janeth N Member Since: Jun 27, 2008
73 of 962
I don't know if we can flag those kind of job posters. This is really exploitation.
Highlighted
Gaya L Member Since: Feb 7, 2016
74 of 962

I agree! We need more protection here! 

Highlighted
Barbara W Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
75 of 962
Using feedback as a threat, or as leverage in such a way is violation of policy and yes, you should absolutely flag anything like this. One more thing, it doesn't make sense for someone to work for free for feedback, because if a contract doesn't generate earnings of at least $1.00, that feedback doesn't post on the profile and it doesn't count into the feedback rating. So, again, please flag these posts. Thank you!
"Everybody is talented, original, and has something important to say." - Brenda Ueland
Highlighted
Judith B Member Since: Aug 26, 2011
76 of 962
is that this would-be buyer decided to include the negative blackmail in the actual job posting. Yep. That, along with the hilariously low rate and "great opportunity for newbies" warning signal, really is going to attract people. I don't think anybody applied, strangely enough. I did flag the posting because it was obviously trying to take advantage of people, but wasn't sure what category to put it in.
Highlighted
Barbara W Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
77 of 962
Thanks for clarifying. I think the best one to choose if there isn't a good one, is the spam option, or you can contact Customer Support to submit a ticket to report it. You'll need the link to the job posting when you do that, though, so oMQ can find it.
"Everybody is talented, original, and has something important to say." - Brenda Ueland
Highlighted
charles k Member Since: Jul 5, 2016
78 of 962

Do some people actually do work for $1? I am new to this site, and reading this has been interesting to me as someone who is interested and hiring through the site.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
79 of 962
This widget could not be displayed.

@charles k wrote:

Do some people actually do work for $1? I am new to this site, and reading this has been interesting to me as someone who is interested and hiring through the site.

No, Charles K!  

Highlighted
Grace B Member Since: Sep 14, 2011
80 of 962
two thumbs up for your awesome effort to take time to write these enlightening tips! a must-read post for odesk contractors (and buyers alike) especially newbies (that's ME!)