cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job warning signs

Highlighted
Richard W Member Since: Jul 16, 2010
81 of 962
Much as it pains me to say this Darren - that was the most informative, intelligent and insightful post I have seen for a long time - even this "old dog" managed to learn a lot from it :-) As one of the other poster said - "a must read". Top hole - as we "native speakers" are supposed to say. My two cents - I have my own "red flag" mechanism - well it works for me :-) Fortunately or unfortunately we are forced to use dollar currency and a banking system which recognizes figures down to two places of decimals ($0.01) - anything after the second place of decimals does not exist. As contractors we work in units of minutes (we are measured in multiples of 10 minutes), therefore if our quoted rate ($x.xx / 60) is less than $0.01 then we are surely dealing in something that does not exist. As employers, posting work where the budget amount divided by the number of units is less than $0.01, then surely they are dealing in something that does not exist. Example posting:- $1 for 150-word article = S0.006 per unit (this is not the worst example) so anyone posting or accepting such work is Socially unConscious About Money. I have never seen a coin for $0.006 - in actual fact the last time I was in the States, the smallest coin I could find (with difficulty) was 10 cents (and that was a few years ago). How can anyone pay or be paid with something that doesn't exist. And surely dealing in something that does not exist is either illegal, immoral or makes you fat. In deference to the state of the global economy I have modified my parameters to a minimum of $0.10 (maybe in the desparate hope that I can still find a ten-cent coin), and anything not conforming to these parameters is labelled as Socially unConscious About Money, and move on. Sounds complicated - but I learned about this in school when I was learning the 3Rs (reedin, ritin and riffmatik). The unfortunate problem with this method is that you have to READ and UNDERSTAND, and that is a personal choice - there is no easy button for that. Update - now my ten cents worth - two basic priciples of life - ignorance is no defence in any country of the world - when all else fails read the instructions. Sorry about that (just a little bit) - but it works for me :-)
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
82 of 962
Spaniard has too much time on her hands, me thinks!
Highlighted
83 of 962
* Sorry to cause you distress Richard; any intelligence was purely coincidental. *removed by admin
Highlighted
84 of 962
The distress was caused by my beer-deprived state (as always) - I hope this was not the cause of your ink-blotched response :-) Your original posting should not only be made a "sticky" - it should be "super-glued" (mental note to remind the mods) :-)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
85 of 962
[quote=Richard Wilkinson]"super-glued" [/quote] Smiley Happy
Highlighted
86 of 962
You were not the cause of the ink-blotched response. I was replying both to you and Mahesh and was -in particular- refuting Mahesh's gender misidentification of me in the earlier post. I did so by parodying Mahesh's trademark "*headscratch*" response by referring to scratching another part of the body. * Just so you know. There are loads of swear words that I haven't tested yet though: * seem to be safe, but it is all very subjective. *removed by admin
Highlighted
87 of 962
Why would anyone in their right mind consider "13OLOX" to be a swear word - it's the registration number of my neighbour's car - he has a bit of a problem with the typesetting. And I question why the shortened version of ARSENAL should be considered a swear word - but then again there is no accounting for people's taste when it comes to soccer. As for the remainder, I have it on good authority (Geoffrey Chaucer and my quality-control parrot), they have not only said it - they have done it as well. Reminds me of the time during the Crimean War, when I was castigated for saying "Oh Jings" - maybe that is why I have never been able to have children. **SIGH** Has the cake arrived yet?
Highlighted
88 of 962
*...so not only has the 'B' word been flagged; but also the technical and medical term for that part of the body; which is just plain wrong. The 4 words that appeared to be OK turn out not to be, despite appearing in other parts of the forum. It is possible to draw three conclusions from this: 1) The moderating standards for this forum are inconsistent, subjective, and demonstrably wrong on occasion. 2) It is entirely conceivable that I may disappear from the forum without warning...I expect that there are many examples of my posting already about on the forum that may offend somebody enough to be flagged; and I don't really intend to pre-vet future posts to make them inoffensive to absolutely everybody. You end up with insipid, milksop dribblings that probably aren't worth reading. If you neuter the language, you also neuter thought. 3) Sweaty spheroids to both Barbara and whoever flagged the post. *removed by admin
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
89 of 962
Meh, are you still surprised about it? I'm not anymore. I miss Jacqui. (I hope nobody reports me for this. LOL)
Highlighted
90 of 962
Not surprised, no. Just irritated at inconsistency. Barbara has a job to do and I understand that. As an example; look at the rating for this post. At 22 votes it was 10.0, so 100% approval (Haven't looked at it really, since 22 votes). Currently, there's 31 people who voted and the score is 9.9...so that's one or maybe 2 people who didn't like it. One person obviously didn't like it and flagged the edited post. Flagging the post may have been due to genuine offence or it may have been due to some other reason...politics, trolling...anything. So - overwhelming majority who weren't offended, one person who was *maybe* genuinely offended. So Barbara is forced to do her job, and results in me pulling a final warning. Should I, then, pre-edit every syllable for the benefit of the small-minded minority; thus making extra work for myself (it's harder to write in a constrained style than writing naturally) and making posts less interesting? Or should I cordially invite said complainant to go and pleasure themselves with something pointy and plugged into the mains? It's a dilemma.