🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Jobs, rates, and Referrals.
Page options
5e9ccfbc
Community Member

Jobs, rates, and Referrals.

I'm new to Upwork and have a job posted with people replying with hourly rate proposals. When I interview them they are proposing monthly flat fee services. Is this normal? Flat fees work great for those I hire bit not so much for me in my opinion. 

I've also scheduled an interview with someone only to have them refer it to someone off the platform. This can't be normal either I assume?  

2 REPLIES 2
r2streu
Community Member

Referrals off-platform are strictly prohibited per TOS, so I definitely would give them a pass. 

Not sure how normal a flat monthly fee is, depending on the work, but that does seem like something that should have been mentioned in the actual proposal itself. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I'm new to Upwork and have a job posted with people replying with hourly rate proposals. When I interview them they are proposing monthly flat fee services. Is this normal?"

I have never heard of a "monthly flat fee service" as part of the Upwork platform.
That is not something that the system supports.

So to answer your question: No, that is not normal.

It isn't uncommon for a freelancer to suggest using an hourly contract instead of a fixed-price contract, or to suggest using a fixed-price contract instead of an hourly contract.

If that happens, then you may decide for yourself if you want to do that.

Or you may decide that you know what type of contract you want to use to hire a freelancer, and you aren't going to change that decision.

re: "I've also scheduled an interview with someone only to have them refer it to someone off the platform. This can't be normal either I assume?"

That is not normal.

That is a scammer trying to manipulate you into violating Upwork rules, and PROBABLY intends to take your money without ever doing any work for you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths