🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Joining a freelance agency
Page options
robonita
Community Member

Joining a freelance agency

I have a freelancer account with ongoing contracts. There's some person I know who wants to register a freelance agency account. He asked me if I could help him manage it, bid on projects on behalf of the agency and maybe take part in some projects as a freelancer. I couldn't find how this will affect my account as a freelancer.

1) Can I leave an agancy at my discretion at any moment ?

2) Can I be a manager for an agency without actually working on the projects? 

3) What will happen to my ongoing contracts, when I join the agency? Do they get transferred to the agency?

4) Can I work for an agency and have my own presonal contracts at the same time? What if I bid on the project and the agency bids on the same project? There can be some kind of conflict of interests in such situations, how does upwork hande it if at all?

5) How gets reviewed ? The agency, the freelancer who did the work, the manager?

6) If the agency does not perform well (get bad reviews or disputes), will my own account be affected, if I'm a part on this agency ?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
ilyas2010
Community Member

1) Can I leave an agancy at my discretion at any moment ?

A) Yes if you don't have any open proposals and jobs on agency profile

2) Can I be a manager for an agency without actually working on the projects? 

A) Yes if you are not exclusive contractor

3) What will happen to my ongoing contracts, when I join the agency? Do they get transferred to the agency?

A) They will be kept going on your individual profile

4) Can I work for an agency and have my own presonal contracts at the same time? What if I bid on the project and the agency bids on the same project? There can be some kind of conflict of interests in such situations, how does upwork hande it if at all?

A) Yes you can do both project simultaneously if you are not exclusive contractor

5) How gets reviewed ? The agency, the freelancer who did the work, the manager?

A) You will get reviews

6) If the agency does not perform well (get bad reviews or disputes), will my own account be affected, if I'm a part on this agency ?

A) The rating of agency shows on your profile at bottom right side.

This was a great answer, thank you 🙂

Could you, please, clarify a couple of things me

A) Yes you can do both project simultaneously if you are not exclusive contractor

Obviously, I can't work on the same project as an individual freelancer and as an agency member, right? 

A) You will get reviews

Do you really mean that the agency manager gets  reviewed? Sorry about asking twice, but I'd expect the agency or the member who did the work get the review for the project. 

I'd like the rephrase my other question too. 

Does the agency's rating (the agecny, where I'm a manager) is taken into account while calculating my individual rating? 

Obviously, I can't work on the same project as an individual freelancer and as an agency member, right? 

A) Surely you can do unless you are exclusive agency member.

Do you really mean that the agency manager gets  reviewed? Sorry about asking twice, but I'd expect the agency or the member who did the work get the review for the project. 

A) Agency profile and you both will get review on your profiles.

Hm, This doesn't seem fair to be reviewed for somebody else's work Smiley Very Happy  or escepcially in cases when you did not know the agency had such project or the project was outside the scope of your skills. Anyway, thanks for bearing with me. 

So, how are the bids distributed then? Do I still have my own personal bids and as a manager I can use agency bids? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths