cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Started Working - Need Help

Highlighted
Rizki A Member Since: Jan 8, 2017
1 of 10

Hello, I am new here and I have a question.

So, few days ago i submitted a proposal to a client with fixed price and we have some chat about the requirements, I'm currently working on it, but I feel something is missing here.

1. how can i know that I am currently active or working on that job?

I visited proposal page and my status is 1 active candidacy

just a bit information:

- this job require me to fix his website (2 fixes)

- payment is not that good (doesn't matter, this is my first job anyway)

- job is easy (at least for me)

- client have a good reputation and he's been here since 7 years ago

- he also gave me an admin access to his web

- as the time goes, he ask me to fix more sections which is more than what he asked here on upwork

what should I do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 10

Rizki, you don't really know what you are doing, but that is why you asked questions here, so that is okay. An active proposal is not a job. If you go to your My Jobs page, and you do not see a contract listed, it means you were never hired and you will be paid nothing for the work. So stop working. Also: if a client assigns you a fixed-price job and then gives you additional tasks to do, that is NOT okay. That is a bad client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 10

@Preston H wrote:

1) An active proposal is not a job. If you go to your My Jobs page, and you do not see a contract listed, it means you were never hired and you will be paid nothing for the work. So stop working.

2) Also: if a client assigns you a fixed-price job and then gives you additional tasks to do, that is NOT okay. That is a bad client.

1) Absolutely correct. No contract under "My Jobs" = STOP WORKING and nicely ask the client to hire you before you do ANY work.

2) That is nonsense and deeply misleading! It is PERFECTLY fine and actually desirable for a client and freelancer to carry on a fixed rate contract beyond the originally agreed scope PROVIDED each additional bit of work is mutually agreed on, and additional milestones are set up and funded along the way.

Clients who hire me for a small project and like working with me and keep adding and funding more milestones are NOT bad clients, quite the opposite.

It is only NOT OK if a client tries to strongarm freelancers into doing additional work beyond the agreed scope of any given milestone without additional payment.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 10

Hi Rizki,

I've checked and you're not yet hired for the job you started working on. Stop working immediately, ask your client to send you an offer through Upwork so a contract could be created and make sure the contract is funded for the agreed amount before you accept it. Only then you'll be able to get paid through the platform, as required by Upwork ToS, utilize Upwork Payment Protection and should resume working with the client.

Please read these resources before continuing with this contract or bidding on new jobs.

Highlighted
5 of 10

Thanks Preston, Petra and Vladimir.

Sounds bad for me, but I will kindly ask my client to send me an offer.

This job is getting too much actually, the list that I need to fix is more than 20+ by now, which is beyond the first requirement, I will see his response first and hopefully he will pay at least the first task and I will continue if he add another milestone (just in case he give me the offer).

Again thank you for helping me.

My bad, I should have read the tutorial before.

Highlighted
6 of 10

So, Vladimir I need your assistance.

My client agree with my request (an offer ofcourse), he ask me what to do to accomplish that?

Is it good if I give him link to this page?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 10

Hi Rizki,

Yes, you could send that link to the client to help them learn more about fixed-price contracts. You can also share this link with them with detailed instructions on how to make an offer.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 10

Once this client gives you an active contract (hires you) make sure that not only is their accout verified, but escrow is FULLY funded for the agreed amount before you continue/start working. And if this client adds another milestone make sure each one is fully funded and the scope of work that is required is indicated BEFORE you start working on those requirements.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sadik B Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
9 of 10

As others have said, many times there are bad clients and as a freelancer you have to ensure you get paid.

But, sometimes in our eagerness to avoid a bad situation we can misjudge a genuine client who is not familiar with the system. I have had situations in the past where a busy client who has a ton of things to do, thinks that since they found you through upwork that part is done. In many cases I have had clients ask me what they have to do to finish the hiring process or fund milestones etc. 

Rizki, as a freelancer you absolutely have to ensure that first you get the contract awarded to you and second that the next milestone you are working on is funded. Just tell the client politely to do what needs to be done by sharing upwork links or even sharing a screen through skype etc to help them if they face issues. If a client is deliberately stalling paying you, you will know and you then have to stop the work immediately.

Hope it helps.

Highlighted
10 of 10

Hello, just want to give my current status.

It's a nice ending (not an ending, this is just a beginning) , after doing some tasks (I can say the jobs done) & forget with the offer. Then last night he sent me an offer, so he's happy with the result.

I can say that Sadik is true, in my opinion he's busy and he's not familiar with the system, it make sense that 2 days ago he asked me what to do with the offer. He even gave me more than what he offer in the job posting.

So, it's all solved now, thanks for everyone.