🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Last 2 connects—Will my account be frozen if ...
Page options
david_giarratana
Community Member

Last 2 connects—Will my account be frozen if I use them?

I have seen many posts on this board from people who have had their accounts hidden and frozen because they "applied to too many jobs". I have been working hard for less than a month to get a foothold here, and I'm down to my last two connects. I'm worried that, if I use them, the same will happen to me. Can I safely use these last two connects, or should I wait until Sept. 9th when they are supposed to reset?

6 REPLIES 6
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi David,

Not necessarily. In order to prevent anyone from unfairly bypassing our guidelines, we cannot release the specific numbers of proposals submitted. Be assured we do not take action based on isolated incidents of unsuccessful proposals. Only in the unusual case we find a freelancer has been repeatedly submitting many proposals but not winning jobs (or winning few), we take action.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I should clarify: I have been hired for and successfully completed 3 jobs (all with 5 stars). Does this affect your answer in any way, Valeria? Also, it seems weird to hold the freelancers responsible for how many jobs we do or do not get. I mean, newbies have an inherent disadvantage, do they not?

@David G wrote:

I should clarify: I have been hired for and successfully completed 3 jobs (all with 5 stars). Does this affect your answer in any way, Valeria? Also, it seems weird to hold the freelancers responsible for how many jobs we do or do not get. I mean, newbies have an inherent disadvantage, do they not?

It's not about "holding the freelancer responsible"  - it is purely about offering the right (meaning"profitable for Upwork") products to the market (clients.)

There are too many freelancers on the platform, and the majority of newies in almost all categories never make a single Cent, they just clutter up the place and create white noise.

Think of it like a store: Would you give valuable shelf space to a product nobody wants to buy, or worse, one that nobody wants to buy but that gets stolen a lot (freelancers taking clients off the platform)

You've already been hired so you're several steps ahead of the majority.

Whoever is persistently deleting my replies: please stop. You are not helping, and this behavior is highly unprofessional.

Let's try this one more time. I'll give up if whoever it is decides they would rather be petty than permit discussion.

Petra,

Your reasoning makes sense if and only if:

1. The experience freelancers have on Upwork has no effect on whether they are hired or not (in other words, "experience" does not affect the perceived value offered by a freelancer).
  2. Artificially limiting the size of a competitive, buyers market benefits the buyers (is that it, is the real goal to help the old guard at the cost of both new talent and clients?)
  3. All clients have the same tastes, or all freelancers know just which clients would like their work.
  4. No clients (or very few) abandon their job postings without hiring anyone.

However, these are all false. 1 and 4 in particular make your reasoning impossible to take seriously. Further, new talent can only become better if allowed to get a foothold. The people at Upwork have what seem to me very strange attitudes.

Your store analogy doesn't really fit. In that case, producers can see what the competition is offering (including in terms of price). On top of that, different brands are not blocked from even participating in the market just because some overseer doesn't think that they have succeeded enough. Worse still, things that no one wants to buy do not tend to be stolen very often.

You are missing the point.

Freelancers who are sending out a lot of proposals and are not, or rarely, hired, are either:

• not what the market wants hence not profitable for the platform to keep around

or

• are taking the clients (and the payment) off the platform (hence actually causing a loss to the platform)

One of the biggest complaints clients have had for years is being drowned in cr*p proposals, which wastes their time and makes it difficult to find the right freelancers in the mass that keeps pouring in. Reducing the number of proposals helps clients. Clients are who brings the money.

It simply makes no sense to keep freelancers around who either have nothing of value to offer or can't sell what they have to offer effectively.

That's just how it is.

The platform has way too many freelancers in many, if not most categories. It is already turning down significant percentages of new hopefuls. Either it needs to simply close the door altogether, or let people have a "test run" and keep them if that proves successful, get rid of them if not.

Anyway, you ARE getting hired so I wouldn't worry about it. I am not sure I agree with your strategy (taking drastically underpriced contracts) but that's another discussion for another day.

No, no! Let's have that conversation, please! If you think my strategy is flawed, please share your wisdom with me. If you like, we can carry this conversation on in DMs. Grazie mille per il suo tempo.

Honestly, if that's the attitude that Upwork has, there's a high chance I won't fit in, here. I try to make my cover letters professional and concise, as well as personalized. I sometimes create quick mock-ups of what I think would work well for the project. I think my portfolio shows skill (though I am not sure, anymore). However, if the consencus is that the market is too crowded to allow new talent through the gates, why bother? Unless my work really is worthless, that's the only conclusion left.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jun 25
Crafting Your Compelling Story
Talent Toolbox English
Featured Topics
Learning Paths