🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Less jobs because of my "special" locatio...
Page options
ls_texte
Community Member

Less jobs because of my "special" location?

Hello everyone,

I live in a very small country called Liechtenstein, which borders on Switzerland and Austria. Of courseI had to give upwork my exact address and location. Now it is the case that in Liechtenstein only Swiss German is spoken and therefore I would be the absolutely right choice for Swiss clients. But now I have read that clients have the possibility to choose the location of the freelancer if they want to contact only freelancers from Switzerland. But I can also remember applying for a job where I did not meet this criterion and I could still apply and even get the job. Is it at best the case that it used to be like that in the past and not anymore? The question is: Does it possibly not show me jobs that Swiss clients publish because they can decide that only freelancers living in Switzerland should be approached?

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Laetitia S wrote:

Hello everyone,

I live in a very small country called Liechtenstein, which borders on Switzerland and Austria. Of courseI had to give upwork my exact address and location. Now it is the case that in Liechtenstein only Swiss German is spoken and therefore I would be the absolutely right choice for Swiss clients. But now I have read that clients have the possibility to choose the location of the freelancer if they want to contact only freelancers from Switzerland. But I can also remember applying for a job where I did not meet this criterion and I could still apply and even get the job. Is it at best the case that it used to be like that in the past and not anymore? The question is: Does it possibly not show me jobs that Swiss clients publish because they can decide that only freelancers living in Switzerland should be approached?

Thanks for your help.

Some countries are able to restrict their jobs to freelancers in a specific country, meaning if somebody in the US posts a US only job, it will never show up in your feed. I know people in the US can do that, maybe also the UK, not sure, but I think that's it.

All other country specifics are preferences, not restrictions, meaning you are able to see the job and apply to it. That is still in place.

Thank you very much, Martina! I am glad to read this.

Laetitia.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths