🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Little To No Sucess
Page options
djswebdesign
Community Member

Little To No Sucess

I have been on upwork for about a year maybe a bit longer.  Over that time period I basically had no success.  Since I created my profile I have been charged about two or three times more than what I have made.  Virtually every job posting has something with a red exclaimation point indicating a requiremnet that I don't meet.  Sometimes I bid anyway because I know I can deliver a great product at a competitive rate.  I also find it odd that I was only invited to bid once when I first started setting up my profile.   Am I missing something?  For the past three years I have been a legit 9-5 Tabelau Admin and Developer.  I thought I could leverage upwork to make a little addition income, but have acually spent more that I have made.  Again is there something I am missing here??

4 REPLIES 4
yitwail
Community Member

You could reduce costs a bit by canceling Plus membership. Aside from that, you might compare your profile to other freelancers with the same expertise who are achieving more success. Finally, you might concentrate bidding on jobs posted by clients with good hiring rate yet do not have a large number of applicants.

Spavlik - You need to improve your profile and post a better picture of yourself.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Spavlik, 

Following Joan's advice, here's a guide to help you choose the right profile photo for your Upwork profile: 

Your profile overview says so much about you, but it misses to highlight how you can help a client with their project. You can start off by asking "How can your skills achieve a client's goals?" and then work your profile overview around that. 

I would also recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork career. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks so much for the feedback. I will definitely look into making the suggested changes.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths