Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Looking for Advice on How to Optimize Efforts to Obtain Work

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
Joseph G Member Since: May 17, 2017
1 of 26

Good afternoon everybody:

I am brand-spanking-new to this site, but I am already optimistic about the possibilities. What I have read so far suggests that a new member should budget their connections. My experience is almost exclusively legal writing (though I am positive those skills translate to other areas). My question is "does anybody have useful nuggets of wisdom that will help me not waste my time, or the client's time?" I look forward to hearing from the community!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 26

Joseph:

Your profile photo is 100% unacceptable.

It's too dark.

And it features two people.

And when I look at your profile page, I don't see a portfolio. If you are a writer and you have no portfolio, please do not bother to use this site to look for work.

View solution in original post

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
3 of 26

Hi Preston:

Thank you for your response, I received a notification from Upwork regarding the issue you raised regarding my photo. Great minds think alike. As far as your comment regarding my portfolio goes, what should I include? I can link: (1) the web-content that I have written, (2) various motions I have written (assuming I can link documents - however it is not my name on the motions, since I am not the attorney representing the client); and (3) a handful of academic writings.  I'm more than happy to accept constructive criticism, I will look through my photos to see if I have something slightly more professional (I do not have many photos that look similar to yours, I'm not what you would call a "looker.")

prestonhunter
Community Guru
4 of 26

re: "I do not have many photos that look similar to yours"

Joseph:

I didn't just find a photo.

I spent an entire day going downtown and having my photo taken in various parks, museums, other locations, with various poses and looks, all for the express purpose of getting the optimal photo for my Upwork profile.

Then I spent hours selecting the right photo, intended to send a particular message, and trying out various ways to crop it.

My photo is not an accident. I am aware that it is the first thing that potential clients see. The time I spent on my photo has more than paid for itself. My photo is the most visible, most prominent aspect of my Upwork "marketing."

In a perfect world, nobody is judged by their photo. I don't live and work in a perfect world.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 26

Joseph, with respect to your portfolio, your overview states that you 'have written all the content for four (4) criminal defense websites', so a screenshot & link to one of those sites would be a start, assuming you can get permission to feature it in your portfolio.

With regard to your photo, mine was taken with a web cam, not a professional photographer, but I'm been continously top rated since Upwork introduced Job Success, so I doubt it's been a significant handicap.

6 of 26

Hi John:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I have attempted to update my profile to reflect my work. I'm still unsure of what I can inclue. My strongest work is my law-in-motion work, but as mentioned above, I am not sure if I can use that since my name is not the attorney of record - it basically requires the reader to take my word for it that I wrote the content.

With regards to the photo, is my current one sufficient? if not, I will get a friend to take a better one.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 26

re: "As far as your comment regarding my portfolio goes, what should I include?"

Include in your portfolio anything that:

- you created

- makes you look good

- demonstrates your professional services

- you have the rights to include

Your portfolio items do NOT need to be work that was done on Upwork.

They do NOT need to be work you were paid for.

They do NOT need to be work that you own the copyright to, as long as you get permission to include them in the portfolio.

You can write new pieces specifically for the purpose of including them in your portfolio.

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
8 of 26

Hi Preston:

I did not intent to imply that you "just found a photo." It is a very professional photo, I simply do not have one of those at this time. I have changed my photo to one that is as close as I can get to fixing the issue you raised. As of right now, this is the best I can do.

Turning to the portfolio issue, what types of things should I include? I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me, even if those responses aren't "you're doing perfect."

prestonhunter
Community Guru
9 of 26

Joseph:

I see your new photo now.

That's so much better!

I can clearly see your face. (It's not so dark!)

It shows only you, and not other people.

And you're dressed appropriately for the job niche/services you are promoting.

You could easily just continue using this current photo.

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
10 of 26

Thank you Preston:

I have taken a swing at making my portfolio look a little better, but there is certainly room for improvement. As I mentioned to John, my strongest work product appears in my law-in-motion work. I am not sure I can include that however, since my name does not appear on any of them.

I really appreciate your feedback.