Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Advice on How to Optimize Efforts to Obtain Work

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 26

Joseph,

Stick to your niche and it is a good one. Don't generalize at this point. If you stick to what you know, your proposals will be more convincing, and budgeting connects will not be a problem.

Do read all the help pages, particularly Upwork's Terms of Service (if you haven't already done so). Here is a good starting point to avoid pitfalls etc. https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/td-p/264214/jump-to/first-un... , which is the greyed-out thread at the top of this page.

But as Preston says, you really must lighten up your profile picture, it is offputting and eventually Upwork will get round to smacking your wrists for it. (I don't see two people though! Smiley Wink)

Good luck!

ETA: Sorry Joseph, this crossed with your new pic. Smiley Happy

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
Joseph G Member Since: May 17, 2017
12 of 26

Hi Nichola:

Thank you for responding to this post. I have attempted to fix the flaws with my profile that have been raised. I truly appreciate all of you taking the time to provide me helpful advice. I have not read all the help pages, but I am doing so right now.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
13 of 26

Joseph, I'm a paralegal and I share your concern about a portfolio and including pleadings that were obviously signed by the attorney with no indication of your - likely massive - input and work.  I have a redacted medical chronology and maybe something else of that sort on mine.  It's a conundrum for motion practice documents.

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
14 of 26

Hi Mary:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Have you come up with a way to include your work, without stepping on toes or violating the Terms and Conditions of this site? On one hand, all the submitted documents are public record. On the other hand, I'd be hard-pressed to convince someone the writing that does not have my name on it is actually mine.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 26

re: "On the other hand, I'd be hard-pressed to convince someone the writing that does not have my name on it is actually mine."

Don't worry about whether or not the writing has your name on it!

Nobody is going to care.

If you have the right to include the documents in your portfolio, go ahead and do so.

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
16 of 26

Hi Preston:

I have updated my portfolio to include websites, and a few documents I have written that I enjoy. You have already helped me quite a bit, but I would appreciate your feedback if you have the time.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
17 of 26

Well, I've submitted redacted discovery and med chrons, as I said.  Pleadings are trickier.  Currently, I'm doing cite checking and blue book stuff for an appellate firm and I haven't included any of that because I don't want anyone to think that I drafted the briefs themselves.

In your case, given legal egos, it could get tricky adding briefs to your profile.  Do you have any that you red-lined?  You could include those, showing your work.

The worst thing I face is that clients think paralegals are discount lawyers!

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
18 of 26

Hi Mary:

That is a great idea! I have never utilized track changes with the people I work for, but I will begin doing that immediately.

In response to your statement about the belief (of some) that paralegals are discount lawyers: I have worked with a number of paralegals that put me, and the attorneys I work for, to shame.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
19 of 26

BTW, you might want to raise your hourly rate a bit.  I started too low and it took me a long time to build up to where I am now.

joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
20 of 26

Hi Mary:

That is something that concerned me as well. My friend, who suggested this site to me, recommended that I start low to build up my reputation. Do you have any advice on what amount says "I'm competent, but I'd rather have consistent work"?

As an aside, I'm really surpirsed, and impressed, with the speed and quality of the feedback on this site. Thank you very much!