Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Advice on How to Optimize Efforts to Obtain Work

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
21 of 26

The trouble with starting low is that your rate for previous jobs shows on your profile and will hurt your negotiating ability in the future.  Check other legal writers on here and see what they charge, then compare their profile/ experience with theirs.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
22 of 26

You might want to add Legal to Web Content Writer if you are primarily interested in legal writing.  A niche is better than no niche...

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
23 of 26

Hi Joseph, 

I think you have received excellent feedback from the community!

I would like to suggest that you expound on your job title because it's one of the first few things a potential client sees. Pick out a job title that will make your client understand what you can do just by glancing at it. When I read it, it gave me the impression that you write content for websites. But it didn't give me insight into your legal background. 

One of the freelancer resources that we usually share to new members have already been shared, and I hope you visit that thread and read up on the links. 

Good luck, and welcome to Upwork!

~ Avery
Upwork
joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
Joseph G Member Since: May 17, 2017
24 of 26

Hi Avery:

Thank you for your response. You are 100% correct, the community response was truly exceptional. As I mentioned, I am brand new to this, so I am not entirely sure how to optimize my profile.

When I initially attempted too build my profile ( a few hours ago), I didn't see a category that fit my skill-set. Would it be harmful to my profile to come up with my own?

Expanding on the previous paragraph, I'm not really sure how to define what I do. That may be a lack of creativity, but I simply don't know how to say it with the right "buzz words." My ignorance is apparent here, but I am grateful for all the feedback I have received so far.

To respond to your statement regarding the resources this site provides:

I am still reading through all of the information, I may have jumped the gun by asking the community a question that could have been answered already. I've gottten through a few articles, but I have not read all of them yet.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
25 of 26

No worries, Joseph. 

It also helps to ask questions so that people can point you to the right direction. I've checked on the job categories and you should be able to check any from the legal category. 

I think you wanted to clarify whether you can come up with a unique job title (and not a category)? As long as the job title can summarize your skills and exeprience in a few words, and you think your clients will able to get insight on what it is you do, you can try it out. 

Remember, you are free to change your job title, skills, categories, overview at any time you see fit, and especially if you think that what you currently have on your profile does not work to market you.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 12.47.01 PM.png

~ Avery
Upwork
joeygross1985
Ace Contributor
Joseph G Member Since: May 17, 2017
26 of 26

Hi Avery:

Thank you again for responding. I think a few of my issues can be resolved simply by reading a bit more and toying around with my options on this site. Again, it's hard to wrap my head around how quick and concise the responses I received have been; it is a testament to the quality of the community I think.