🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Losing Connects on Filled Project
Page options
hollyljohnson
Community Member

Losing Connects on Filled Project

Hello community! I have a gripe. . .I see wonderful perfect projects for me, click on "Submit Proposal", craft my lovely descriptive cover letter, convincing the client to pick me over everyone else, hit "Submit", and BAM! I immediately get a message saying the job is no longer available because the position has been filled. So within the time I'm writing the letter (not more than a couple paragraphs), the position has been filled - but I still lose the connects. I understand when I'm not selected, but when I don't even get to apply because the position is gone by the time I hit send?

I don't like to be a whiner, but this isn't cool. Connects are precious to me, especially as a newbie on this platform. Any advice?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Holly, 

I have flagged your post for someone to check. You shouldn't be losing connects if you are unable to submit a proposal because the job is closed. 

However, some clients either forget (or couldn't be bothered) to close the job or do leave jobs open, even if they  have hired, because they may want another freelancer. Either way, the connects are lost.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
colettelewis
Community Member

Holly, 

I have flagged your post for someone to check. You shouldn't be losing connects if you are unable to submit a proposal because the job is closed. 

However, some clients either forget (or couldn't be bothered) to close the job or do leave jobs open, even if they  have hired, because they may want another freelancer. Either way, the connects are lost.  

Thanks Nichola. And yes, I've seen posts where the client has hired someone but it's not closed - and you've explained why. That makes sense.

Is there a way to tell if someone wants another freelancer or if they just haven't closed the position for some reason?

@Holly J wrote:

Thanks Nichola. And yes, I've seen posts where the client has hired someone but it's not closed - and you've explained why. That makes sense.

Is there a way to tell if someone wants another freelancer or if they just haven't closed the position for some reason?

Not really. You can sometimes get a good idea of what's going down (before bidding) by checking the client's previous jobs (if they have any). 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths