🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Lots of Scam Jobs
Page options
chienkelly
Community Member

Lots of Scam Jobs

I've noticed that many job postings, particularly for virtual assistants / data entry, are scams. How can I get connected with more legitimate jobs of this type as I'm new to upwork? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Kelly C wrote:

I've noticed that many job postings, particularly for virtual assistants / data entry, are scams. How can I get connected with more legitimate jobs of this type as I'm new to upwork? 

Those are the two most dramatically overcrowded categories on Upwork, with the lowest rates and the most competition (especially if you are in a country with a higher cost of living, where you don't want to work for at very low rates.) - plus they are the hunting ground for most of the scammers (if you are US based, it's likely the old fake check scam.)

You can only avoid them entirely if you stay clear of clients without any hiring history. Clearly not ever new client without history is a scammer (far from it), but just about every scammer has an unverified payment method, no hiring history, a brand new account and is interviewing a high number of people, all of which you can see on the job post.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Kelly C wrote:

Those are the two most dramatically overcrowded categories on Upwork, with the lowest rates and the most competition (especially if you are in a country with a higher cost of living, where you don't want to work for at very low rates.) - plus they are the hunting ground for most of the scammers (if you are US based, it's likely the old fake check scam.)

You can only avoid them entirely if you stay clear of clients without any hiring history. Clearly not ever new client without history is a scammer (far from it), but just about every scammer has an unverified payment method, no hiring history, a brand new account and is interviewing a high number of people, all of which you can see on the job post.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kelly,

Please check out this post for tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths